street tracker guys

jmcgowan

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What tires are you running ?
What sizes ?

I'm especially interested in people's answers who have done the 19" rear wheel swap.

I like 19's front and rear. My next project will be running 23's front and rear! :D The bigger the better!! I'm am in no way calling it a street tracker though.

If it don't have 19s fr and rr, it aint a tracker, just kidding. Mine will have 4.00 X 19 duro (MT-53 Pirelli clone) front and rear.

yeah I will.. It's going to be a long while though… I have a couple of other projects I need to finish up before I start that one. I have the bike and the rims but now it's on hold.

Spokes and skinny rims. Wide 23" rims are hard to come by and extremely expensive. Finding tires that big isn't easy either. Avon makes a 130x23 now but a 23 inch rim that wide is too expensive. The wheels and tires will look like this http://www.bikernet.com/bikebarn/PageViewer.asp?PageID=1583 The bike will have a short wheel base like that bike too but probaby have a girder front end.

- have seen a few harleys set up with 23 in fronts
- what kind of tyres are available

I think pretty much the only thing available for pure street tires are from Avon. Cheng Shin and Bridgestone make 23’s for the trials and enduros that have a 23" front.

Crash, I like that look a lot but I’m not 100% sure what I'm going to do yet. I want to make it a little more rideable that one by going with the girder front (or something with at least a little front suspension) and a cantilever sprung seat to save the back a little.

Sorry about the thread :hijack: jmcgowan

- sweet, schwinn meets harley...reminds me a little of this school holiday project for my nephew

n1184830681_30322901_6345.jpg

n1184830681_30322902_7246.jpg

- hmmm 21 inch may well fit

Yeah, now it'll be Schwinn meets Yamaha. I love the lines of a schwinn frame. That's why I like the Cycruiser. Mine might look like a cross between the Hulster and the Cycruiser

Attachments

• cycruiser01.jpg
    cycruiser01.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 811
  • cycruiser02.jpg
    cycruiser02.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 823
  • cycruiser03.jpg
    cycruiser03.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 750
  • hulster01.jpg
    hulster01.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,237
If it don't have 19s fr and rr, it aint a tracker, just kidding. Mine will have 4.00 X 19 duro (MT-53 Pirelli clone) front and rear.

Did you order the omars conversion ? What does it consist of ? I want to measure the kit and make my own.

If you have the skills and resources (lathe and mill) to make your own conversion kit, figuring out how shouldn’t be too hard. Just take a stock rear XS650 wheel and measure the hub. Figure out what you need to make for spacers to bolt onto the front hub to make it match the rear. Your spacers should hold new bearings and you'll need the spacer that goes in between the bearings and also the rear axle and spacers. You’ll have to decide how you want it all to go together. I’d bolt each spacer to the hub using recessed allen head bolts. Then have the spacers contain the correct holes to mount the sprocket and brake rotor.

Yeah, now it'll be Schwinn meets Yamaha. I love the lines of a schwinn frame. That's why I like the Cycruiser. Mine might look like a cross between the Hulster and the Cycruiser

Great craftsmanship, but that motor just doesn't look right in that packaging. My opinion is that the 650 motor only looks good in 3 styles. That would be a Cafe Racer like XS650RR Ian's, a totally stock bike (like the Triumph look), or a Streettracker. I think a Bobber "could" have the right look (Brat style) maybe and I've decided to build one. The super tall steering head chopper style never looks right and the frames that are stretched 3 feet out the back? I don't think so. But these are only my opinions and that doesn't mean they're right or by any means, the last word.

I think one of the key factors in building a bike is thinking about the overall package instead of buying a bunch of unrelated components and hoping when it's all done that it comes out looking right. Proportions, accents, etc should be looked at first, not after it's all done. A lot of people try to throw everything but the kitchen sink at a bike and they end up with a crazy, too busy look. I've bought many bikes and spent a lot of effort un-doing the "Over-builds". Taking out some of the shine and too many colors working against each other. Look at high end, classy, expensive cars like Ferarris, Lambos, Aston Martins, etc. They look cool as shit without making them look like a Tijuanna taxi. And all the high end hot rods too. Just clean flowing lines and subtle colors. Try to outdo guys with craftsmanship, not a 20-color paintjob.

Sorry for rambling! :)

Back