first time cam chain replacement

jmatlow

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I was hit by a hit and run driver running a red light turn signal a couple of months ago and I'm ready to fix the damage that was like. Luckily I made it out with just a few scratches, broken shifter and brake lever. While i'm returning to working on the bike I want to go ahead and take care of the problem that's causing the black plastic and metal shavings in my oil.

Is there a good guide online that explains the process of replacing the cam chain tensioner? Do I need to replace the actual cam chain also?
What parts should I expect to buy so I get get this project done over the weekend rather than realizing I missed some parts and have to wait for a new shipment?

any help would be great.
thank you!

Hi jm if you are goin to replace the tenisoner you should probly replace the cam chain guide wiich is also where the aluminum and black plastic is comming from and I would replace the cam chain too. here is a couple videos you can check out to see whats involved

any videos without having the chain split?

no video of putting the cam back in without splitting the chain but I will tell you that I have preformed the procedure without splitting the chain
when you are putting the cam in dont put on the bearings until you get the chain in place
also there is a slight differance on the sides of the cam one side is a little bit thiner so the chain can go on from that side.
just make sure the crank and cam are in the correct position

When removing the cam chain tensioner, any tips for getting those phillips screws out? Its hard for me to get between those studs and not strip the heads. Also, lock tight when replacing?

When removing the cam chain tensioner, any tips for getting those phillips screws out? Its hard for me to get between those studs and not strip the heads. Also, lock tight when replacing?

well I use a screwdriver that has square shank on tight screws while pushing hard on the screwdriver I use a cressent wrench on the shank and turn the screwdriver with the wrench works most of the time. and there is a impact screwdriver. and I think the screws not phillips I think they are a little dif they are Japanese Industrial Standard screws the driver is a little dif too.
I didn't locktite mine but if you do use blue not red

thanks so much for the videos and links. I'll have to put it off until next weekend but I'm excited to do this.

Posted via Mobile

I'm about to undergo my first cam chain replacement, i've never even taken a jug apart. I have seen the above videos, are there any videos out there since this thread was posted that are more specific to cam chain replacement only?

Thanks!

Anthony
1978 XS650

Technically, yes. But since it's best to replace the (likely worn) front camchain guide, and possibly the rear tensioner as well, you'll need to pull the head and (possibly) cylinders anyways...

I'm about to undergo my first cam chain replacement, i've never even taken a jug apart. I have seen the above videos, are there any videos out there since this thread was posted that are more specific to cam chain replacement only?

Thanks!

Anthony
1978 XS650
Not that I know of. Here is a video of installing the cam chain guide and getting in the middle.

Back