New to the XS650 world

Pov76

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Whats up, my name is Jim. I just picked up three XS650's, a 78, 79, and a mint running 81with 12k miles, a couple extra motors and sets of wheels. I have build a couple dragbikes, a killer chopper with an SS124, and now it looks like a couple XS650's. I make custom seats to support my habits, its worked out good over the years. Ive done a discovery channel build off, a buncha rag covers, and more features that I even remember. I have to say that Im hooked on these XS650's, they got me. SO.....my plan is purchase hardtails and build the frames forward, Im thinking maybe some forward stretch, an inch maybe, and 34ish degrees of rake, one with the stock mags, one with spokes, probably a 21" front. My style is kinda dirty, patina, hand done finishes, copper, brass, a little hand engraving. I just got two in my shop this week, hopefully have these two all broken down this weekend. So far I love this place!!!
photo-9.jpg

My style is kinda dirty, patina, hand done finishes, copper, brass, a little hand engraving. I just got two in my shop this week, hopefully have these two all broken down this weekend. So far I love this place!!!
photo-9.jpg

You wouldn't tell by how clean your work area is :laugh: Welcome

Yeah...Haha.. I like a clean work area. I just clean up when I'm done. I have a garage for heavy cutting and grinding. Thanks for the welcome.

Posted via Mobile

Heres my first chopper I built, had to sell it a couple years ago. I had way to much cash in it.

1002.jpg

Some of my seat work,everything I do is by hand , old school ways.

DSC02040.jpg

DSC02042.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

Leroy Thompson Choppers. I guess it all depends, my pan, your pan, detail, not as much as one would think. I use some of the best leather available and do all my sewing by hand. My pan, black or natural, 3/4 padding, hand sewn around $275 -$300. I just finished that shop like a month ago. All my cutting, and grinding will be done in my garage. Im going to do my best to keep it clean like that. I knew I would get shit ...HAHAHA

This will be my first serious frame mod, I can TIG weld good so I figured why not. This site has been a ton of help. I have a couple seats to finish up then im starting on my frame Jig. Kinda scared and excited all at the same time.

Clean shops are good. :) It shows in your work. I don't know how some people work with shit piled everywhere.

Welcome, I look forward to seeing what you do with these.

John

Trust me I have five kids, 2, 4, 7, 9, 11, this is my get away from the mess. They can destroy a clean house in a matter of five minutes. I have a whole garage full of XS650 parts. Most of my " Shit " is out there.

One tore down the other about halfway. Only had A couple hours to work. Once the frames are tore down I can start cleaning up the motors. Still a a couple weeks out for frame jig components.
photo-18.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I got hooked on these xs`s too. After decades of owning some of the biggest fastest bike`s I could buy I found they only got me into trouble, Horsepower and speed are very tempting:D , The lightweight little 650 look good , sound good and up untill 5-6 years ago parts were pretty cheap and plentifull.
Good luck with your build.

Thanks man! Ive owned alot of fast street and drag bikes, hell even my chop was fast as hell. I looked around for awhile, I like the look of the motor, the sound of a twin, but most of all the creativity and the home built culture that the XS guys have. Parts are still pretty cheap compared to what Im used to. I had 18g in the bike above.

Thanks man! Ive owned alot of fast street and drag bikes, hell even my chop was fast as hell. I looked around for awhile, I like the look of the motor, the sound of a twin, but most of all the creativity and the home built culture that the XS guys have. Parts are still pretty cheap compared to what Im used to. I had 18g in the bike above.

Yep...I spent a little time in the 1/4 mile world myself. Here`s a pic of my employers bike, a long time ago of course. I used to sit on it hoping he would let me take it down the track.
Wayne Davis Engineering.

DAVIS1_sm.jpg

So I'm in vegas....just me and my wife, no kids. I still find myself keeping tabs on the forum while I'm at the bar drinking my whiskey and ginger ale... Yeah I'm an addict. I can't wait to get back and start working on my xs's. Should have the teardowns done this week. Just waiting for the frame jig kit to be ready. I have the jig all drawn up. Can't wait to start posting the pics:D

Posted via Mobile

Back