Out-of-round tire

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
While investigating my front suspension issues, I noticed a pretty significant shake at low speeds. Initial suspicion was that I had a tire balance problem.

This morning I put the bike on the center stand and spun the front wheel.

Using the front edge of the fender as a reference point, there's about a 4 or 5 inch section of the tire that "dips" about 1/4" when it comes around. It appears to be a casting issue in the tire carcass.

I checked the rim with my "Phillips Dial Indicator" :D and it runs true around the circumference as well as side-to-side.

I bought the tire (A Bridgestone S11) through Bike Bandit so I have a note in to them asking about ways to resolve the issue.

Are you sure the tire is "popped' so the side wall line is a consistent distance above the edge of rim all around? When fitting tubeless tires this often takes a few inflations deflations bouncing around etc before the tire seats evenly.

My bike had the same problem. I'm assuming the bike had been sitting on a flat front tire and warped it, but it might have just been the tire. I took it to a good tire guy and he couldn't even get it back on correctly. He put something like 100psi in it and the bead would not seat. I had to get a new tire.

Pic one, you can see how it is turned.
DSCF1404.JPG
It's not plyable either, it's tough to straighten it.

Pic two, you can see the line the rim made under the writing where it was seated.
DSCF1405.JPG

Ah. Good Call gggGary! I just checked and it is seated a little deep in that spot.

I'll do the deflate/wiggle/reinflate drill a couple of times and see if it seats properly.

Thanks!

You may need to break the bead free in that area and apply some lube.

I always lube mine up real good with dish soap. That works for me most of the time. If it won't seat in that area,try the soap thing.

It isn't uncommon to have a tire bead not pop out properly. I've had a very difficult time with this same problem. Lots of lube on the bead is the solution. To get the lube in the correct place you may need to break the bead and use a brush. I absolutly hate when I need to do a job twice. The 100 psi thing is a bit dangerous, don't you do that!

Tom

I have had a few tires that are hard to seat completely. I have left the tire a bit soft, around 15 to 20 lbs, and took it for a ride. Not to fast or too long. Ride a bit, check tire, repeat a few times. It usually wont take much. The extra weight of the bike flexes the sidewalls more than mounting, bounceing, pounding does.
Leo

Well, I finally found (made) time to dick with that front tire. While there are issues with the way the bead is seated, there's nothing that reseating or lubing can do about it, because the tire casing is warped in two planes.

I sent video to Bike Bandit and we're working on a replacement now.

I had an out of round rear tire that was transfering the vibration to the front (I gotta a hardtail), new tire, no more vibration.

Back