Swingarm(sort of)
Exhaust

Things I don't like, or at least don't care for anymore:
Air system
Handlebars
dropseat
Forward controls
Frame height

So I've been riding the bike for a couple years now, and it's still boatloads of fun. But. There's a couple things that are starting to wear on me.
First and foremost, I'm happy that I did the whole air system thing. It was definitely something I wanted to do, but now I've done it, and truth be told it's starting to become a bit of a pain. Waiting for the compressor to air the tank up after it's been sitting for a couple days, and when the compressor runs it draws so much power that it'll make the bike stumble a bit.
And even aired up, it is a bit low. I do have to watch larger speedbumps and my cornering clearances.
It's definitely built as a cruiser, because that's what I wanted. I wanted a bike that was slow and just looked good. Then I got the bike running, and I've been constantly amazed at the power of the XS engine. So now I've been thinking.

I've got about three shows coming up in the next couple months, but after that I'm thinking about chopping the bike back apart and going in a slightly different direction.

I'd like to chop off the rear half of the frame, eliminate the air system and go with a traditional styled hard-tail with a springer seat. I'm going to try to use the existing swingarm for the rear section just cut the lower legs and link them up with the bottom rails, then make new top rails. Use a bicycle seat with springs under it.
I'm going to lop off the forward controls and go with some mid controls
Going to cut the bars about 2" after they come off the forks and reshape them, they'll be a lot shorter and a little more upright.
Also I'm going to change the headlight to something a lot smaller.

Overall, I still really enjoy the big rear tire, but this setup will eliminate the Jackshaft setup and simplify a lot of things. Hopefully the bike will be significantly sportier, not to mention shorter :) and just be more fun to ride in general. There's a nice twisty canyon road near me, and I'd like to be able to ride the bike for more than a half hour at a time.

I have all the metal i need for the change. And the headlight. Overall it'll probably only cost about $150 to make the change.

So, what are your guys' thoughts? I understand it's my bike, and I'll do what I want anyway, but what do you think?

thanks for reading
Sky

I think bigjimmie hit it, someone else could definitely enjoy that machine like you have for so long. It's crazy to chop it up without at least seeing what it could fetch on the market. You never know.......

Sell it man and start over!?

Thought about it, but a couple reasons not to:
First, with the air system and no safety backup if it fails I'd feel responsible regardless.
Second, there's a few quirks to this bike that I just don't want to sell it off. I really like what I've done so far, I just want to modify it to do the kind of riding I currently enjoy.

If you are able to find another xs650 for really cheap, you might want to consider selling and starting all over.

I did a search of completed listings on ebay and found most xs650 to sell for 800 to 3000. Most that didn't sell is probably because they didn't meet the reserve. So you could probably look to pay 2,000+ on ebay.

Since you already have the metal and skills, it would probably be best to chop it up and start all over again. You already have the frame, motor, etc. If you sell it, you could end up spending more and more money as you set out to complete a new project.

Additionally, you could sell the air ride and various other parts to get money to use in your current bike.

To me, if I found a xs650 for 300, I would grab it and sell the other. But given what some people are trying to make off of xs650 it might be better to just keep yours.

But given what some people are trying to make off of xs650 it might be better to just keep yours.

I hear that, seems like everyone these days is thinking their XS is worth about $5,000 :laugh:

Besides my other XS sportbike project I've got another almost complete engine lying around. Still don't know what to do with that one :)

I only planned on having the one XS, but after I got it running and realized how much I like this engine I had to have more. :bike:

Alright yama. To be honest I love the looks of your bike till you air it up. After that... I've always thought it didn't look quite right. However, I love what you did with it man. You have mad skills. If you aren't comfortable with selling it off. Then sell of what you're not going to use on the next one chop the sucker of. Make a sick hard tail and go with it. Keep it low though man. And as you mentioned SHORTER. That's kind of why it didn't look quite right IMHO :bow: Any visuals that you could add to the equation to see kind of which way you're wanting to go with it?

Besides my other XS sportbike project I've got another almost complete engine lying around. Still don't know what to do with that one :)

I only planned on having the one XS, but after I got it running and realized how much I like this engine I had to have more. :bike:

It's okay. I have come to accept my addiction.

If you have another engine lying around, why not buy a frame and make another chopper. You could also restore a xs650 to its original glory. It's all endless and limitless.

I just wish I had the metal working skills you did to do what I want. But I am learning to work the metal.

Alright yama. To be honest I love the looks of your bike till you air it up. After that... I've always thought it didn't look quite right.

I agree 100% I think on the original concept I was more focused more on how the bike looked when stationary than riding. Figured it would spend most of its life at rest anyway. Should have spent the time to do it differently and right. But still, it was a first try.

Any visuals that you could add to the equation to see kind of which way you're wanting to go with it?

You read my mind :)

Here's a couple bike that are kind of in the direction I'd like to go:

bike10.jpg

The rear fender on this bike is weird, but i like the rest of it

bike12.jpg

And my favorite one:

awesomebike.jpg

Just a real simple classic look with sporty handling.

There's no way I'm losing my 240 rear tire though, I love that thing :thumbsup:

Well man you're officially a man after my heart now.... Although I'm ok with my 130 tire, but don't blame you. Out of those 3 #2 is my fave.. I at the moment have drag bars on my bike, but I've been flipping back and forth on getting some apes... I know everyone is knocking it, but really it makes for easier riding...

Oh and in no way am I knocking the build. First or 9472nd build

And part of the reason I like the 2nd one is... because I love those rear fenders, but still all and all I vote #2

Also, btw, why are you tired of the dropseat? Boredom or what? B/c had I done the dropseat I prob wouldn't need/want the apes...

Not to mention on #2 it would be a pretty easy transition for ya.

Well since I'm switching to the mid controls if I stayed with the dropseat my knees would be over my head :) I've got super long legs and I need the room. plus I just wanted my upper body to be more upright or even leaned forward with my legs under me instead of in front of me. Basically just a more sporty position.

and don't worry, I don't think you're knocking my builds, the best thing about bikes is that we all like our own thing :) otherwise what's the point?

True. I forgot that you had written you were going for mids. Then yeah, def can't do a dropseat anymore.

Yeah, but I don't think you're new direction is too far off from mine for sure.

- well, i like your build as a concept bike...also having long legs i have always cringed at the riding position...the air system is interesting, what alternator and battery are you running?
- as a show concept, this, your sport bike, a hard tail and an original, all together, would make an interesting exhibit
- nice choices on hardtail vision, they all have pluses and minuses

I think it would be easier to start with another bike. There's a guy on CL right now in my area with 2 xs650's for 600 bucks. One runner and 1 parts. (my wife would kill me) Keep this bike, build another, and you'd enjoy the air bike once in a while. Take it to shows and stuff. Just my 2 cents.

I would like to see a pic of you on the bike I am thinking of a build and I suffer with long legs also. the stock position feels tiny for me And at my age the cafe position doesn't work anymore either.

Thought about it, but a couple reasons not to:
First, with the air system and no safety backup if it fails I'd feel responsible regardless.
Second, there's a few quirks to this bike that I just don't want to sell it off. I really like what I've done so far, I just want to modify it to do the kind of riding I currently enjoy.

I can't tell you how much I respect you for this. Too many people take their experiments and hobby chops and sell them without regard for the safety of the buyer.

I think you're the only one that can really answer the question about whether or not to chop your bike again. If you are hedging on it at all, if there is even a hint that you might regret it once it's done, I'd suggest you buy another bike, or at the least another frame. Cannibalize this bike for all the parts you need, but leave the frame intact if you have the space to store it.

If there won't be any regret after the deed is done, then what are you waiting for? I really enjoyed watching this project develop and I can't wait for the next one. On a personal preference issue; I always loved that front end, but the bike lacked the rake in front to balance it's length.

Are you going to keep the rear stretch with the mids and shorter clip-ons?

- well, i like your build as a concept bike...also having long legs i have always cringed at the riding position...the air system is interesting, what alternator and battery are you running?
- as a show concept, this, your sport bike, a hard tail and an original, all together, would make an interesting exhibit
- nice choices on hardtail vision, they all have pluses and minuses

Stock charging system with a pretty large battery meant for a Harley. Not sure on the specific size of it.

I would like to see a pic of you on the bike I am thinking of a build and I suffer with long legs also. the stock position feels tiny for me And at my age the cafe position doesn't work anymore either.

The bike in its current configuration is extremely comfortable size-wise. I built it for my frame: 6' 1" with long arms and legs. I don't have a picture, but I have an old youtube vid of the bike before it was done where you can see the riding position.

I really enjoyed watching this project develop and I can't wait for the next one. On a personal preference issue; I always loved that front end, but the bike lacked the rake in front to balance it's length.

Are you going to keep the rear stretch with the mids and shorter clip-ons?

Definitely agree that the rear of the bike looked funny after airing it up. Nope on the rear stretch. There'll be just a bit of stretch so the bike will still fit me, but overall it'll be much shorter, thus more balance :)

Also, if you liked this build, not sure if you've seen my other build still in progress:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229&highlight=sportbike

And a vid of one of my favorite bikes:

Back