installing 277 PAMCO Ignition w/ PMA and rephase

mechanicScott

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
so, I just received my pamco ignition and need to install it on my rephased motor, I went to Pete's website and read through his instructions, but just wanted to confirm with others that have done this.

when the motor is at TDC, will the left cylinder pickup on the ignition be close to firing.
or when the pickup is exactly on the firing sensor where will my rotor be lined up?

I've always built motors with timing marks and never used a timing light, so Id like to get timing as close as I can and go from there. here's a pic from pete's site, can someone explain to me or show me what the position of the rotor will be? thanks

Attachments

• 277.jpg
    277.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 1,122
Hopefully I can expain this properly, since I was confused myself when I did my install. As it's spinning clockwise, the first magnet triggers the little black square sensor and then second magnet will make that coil fire. You can pull one plug out, ground it to the head, loosen the nut on the pamco and spin it freely with your finger to see how the trigger and fire works. So the second magnet should will be over the sensor at TDC, that should get you close, then use the timing light and adjust the back plate as needed.

ok thanks.
there is also a "fire" mark that came with Hugh's pma, so I wasnt sure on the positioning of everthing.

when installing the advance rod's brass bushings, do I need to remove anything from the inside of the cam or do the bushings just press into the cam ??

i never did get an answer... still trying to figure out exactly how to tim everything and align the parts... pete hasn't helped out much, just trying to read the install guide on his website, but its not the most straight forward.

Easiest method for us, is to set the engine to TDC. Then install the Pamco Rotor to where BOTH magnets are horizontal when slid onto the advance shaft. Works everytime. Doesn't matter if the cam is 180 degrees out or not, you just want the pamco rotor magnets horizontal. I am out of town this week, but will try to keep up with a few of these threads and emails while I am away.

Hugh

Now get me the pics of the rotor on the Pamco, without the large washer installed. (ps, I am away on vacation right now, sorry if it takes me a bit longer to respond)

the advance installed

OK, you have the advance unit a bit off. You need to align the "dash" on the advance unit backingplate, with the "dash" on the round part with the 2 notches. I don't have paint on this computer, or I'd circle what I'm talking about... But, if you look closely, the round part that is keyed to the flyweights on your advance unit is 180 degrees out from the proper location. Align those two marks...

Hugh

Side note, good on ya' hugh for pitching in like this. :cheers:

Scott, I am sure Pete would be helping more, but he is about as busy as the other guy helping at the moment. Pete builds these systems for more than just the xs. He is pretty active on the forum and I would guess only absent from this thread due to being pretty busy.

Also, great to read this. Really helping me see where I guessed wrong on my install as well.

Back