Restoration of an XS1

yamasarus

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I looked for an XS1 to restore for about 5 years. I finally found one that I could afford in Florida (I live in NC). It had a 75 front end, wheels, and tank, but the numbers matched and were correct for an XS1. It was also a later production number so I avoided the needle bearing on the piston pin. I started finding the parts I would need and spent about a year doing that.

Many parts I already had , like the NOS instruments. The first step after disassembly was to send the fenders, rims, rear fender bracket, handlebar and bracket, and chain-guard to the chrome plater. All body parts were stripped and readied for paint. The frame was blasted, etch primed and painted with single stage black. All other paint is House of Kolor Kandy or white with plenty of clear. I have never cared much for the original green so I went two coats darker on the Kandy to get what you see here. Every component was freshened up or replaced. Most of the nuts and bolts were replaced with polished stainless. The engine was also disassembled and freshened up as necessary. Upgrades like tapered neck bearings and fresh swing arm bushings were also done. A reproduction exhaust system from Mikes XS was used. The correct taillight, correct K70s, chrome spokes, oring chain, and lots of polishing aluminum were also added. It's as close to a "new" XS1 as I could make it. All work, to include paint, polish, tin-zinc plating, and lacing was done by me. The only thing I send out is chrome work. I really enjoyed this restoration as an XS1 was my first "big bike"back in the day. I am retired and the whole job took 8 weeks. Fun stuff!

Attachments

• XS1 B4 1.jpg
    XS1 B4 1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 562
  • XS1 B3 1.jpg
    XS1 B3 1.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 580
  • XS1 B5 1.jpg
    XS1 B5 1.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 471
  • XS1 B6 1.jpg
    XS1 B6 1.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 453
  • XS1 BUILD-1 1.jpg
    XS1 BUILD-1 1.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 505
  • XS1 Finished 003 1.jpg
    XS1 Finished 003 1.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 545
  • XS1 010 1.jpg
    XS1 010 1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 492
  • XS1 015 1.jpg
    XS1 015 1.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 506
  • XS1 Finished 010-1-1.jpg
    XS1 Finished 010-1-1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 493
  • XS1 Finished 006 1.jpg
    XS1 Finished 006 1.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 565
  • XS1 Finished 004 1.jpg
    XS1 Finished 004 1.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 475
Excellent Work! It's nice to read more about the bike and see the before and after pictures! :thumbsup:

Nicely done, a real beauty. :) I see another in the background in one of the pics. Where do you live?

Did you use the Caswell products for the zinc plating? I bought one, but have yet to use it.

John

Thank you all for the kind words. It means alot coming from fellow XS fanatics!

CDNTX650: The needle bearing was used up to #3269. From that point on the rod was redesigned to eliminate it. The 256 style engine was used through 1973.

hooktool: I live in Kannapolis, NC. I have several 650s, though I am thinning the herd. I used the Eastwood kit but I am about to purchase the Caswell. I think it might give a more durable finish. I haven't had any problems with the Eastwood kit but study the two processes and I think most would agree that Caswell is better....not as fast, but better with more options.

:thumbsup: Thanks for posting up a bit of history on this handsome XSOTM winner!

It was certainly well disguised when you found it.

I have my 1975 down to bare frame and was planing o a strip and cafe rebuild, but my bike was orig when I got it so I have everythige. Seeing your beautiful restoration has changed my direction. Question: where did you have the re-chrome?
I looked for an XS1 to restore for about 5 years. I finally found one that I could afford in Florida (I live in NC). It had a 75 front end, wheels, and tank, but the numbers matched and were correct for an XS1. It was also a later production number so I avoided the needle bearing on the piston pin. I started finding the parts I would need and spent about a year doing that.

Many parts I already had , like the NOS instruments. The first step after disassembly was to send the fenders, rims, rear fender bracket, handlebar and bracket, and chain-guard to the chrome plater. All body parts were stripped and readied for paint. The frame was blasted, etch primed and painted with single stage black. All other paint is House of Kolor Kandy or white with plenty of clear. I have never cared much for the original green so I went two coats darker on the Kandy to get what you see here. Every component was freshened up or replaced. Most of the nuts and bolts were replaced with polished stainless. The engine was also disassembled and freshened up as necessary. Upgrades like tapered neck bearings and fresh swing arm bushings were also done. A reproduction exhaust system from Mikes XS was used. The correct taillight, correct K70s, chrome spokes, oring chain, and lots of polishing aluminum were also added. It's as close to a "new" XS1 as I could make it. All work, to include paint, polish, tin-zinc plating, and lacing was done by me. The only thing I send out is chrome work. I really enjoyed this restoration as an XS1 was my first "big bike"back in the day. I am retired and the whole job took 8 weeks. Fun stuff!

Very nice job indeed! I really like the shade of green that you came up with.I also have an XS1 that i might restore one day,still need a few bits and pieces for it though.It also is a number matching engine/frame.Did you tin/zinc the taillight bracket? Was yours originally chrome? I will have to dig mine out and see what i need,might have to pick your brain for pointers,haha! Thanks for posting the pics and story,made my day!

XS1 taillight brackets were painted silver, XS1B were chrome with a round taillight.

I have my 1975 down to bare frame and was planing o a strip and cafe rebuild, but my bike was orig when I got it so I have everythige. Seeing your beautiful restoration has changed my direction. Question: where did you have the re-chrome?

My plating was done by: Concord Plating, Concord, NC
704-784-4660
ConcordPlating@gmail.com
The owner is Joel Lopez and they do ship.
The 75 is my favorite and I ride mine all the time. Stock is most comfortable! :bike:

Very nice job indeed! I really like the shade of green that you came up with.I also have an XS1 that i might restore one day,still need a few bits and pieces for it though.It also is a number matching engine/frame.Did you tin/zinc the taillight bracket? Was yours originally chrome? I will have to dig mine out and see what i need,might have to pick your brain for pointers,haha! Thanks for posting the pics and story,made my day!

I'll be glad to help any way I can. 70s are always worth restoring!:D

Great job! I'm restoring 2 70s now. I had one painted , and I hope to get the paint back soon. Where did you get the forks ? There hard to find. I'm missing a rear fender hoop , but I'll use a 71 . I can't wait to get on the road. Your color looks great as well . Best of luck. I'll be there soon I hope.
Regards,
CPKID

d9832c01.jpg

Back