Filling in the "Yamaha"

Simple Bob

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello to All,
Recently I have looked at several threads with people wanting to remove the Yamaha writing off of their side covers. I thought about belt sanding mine until I discovered this stuff called "Dura Fix". After reading and watching the video I thought about filling it and sanding it down. From the looks of this stuff you can do all kinds of repairs and fabrications to aluminum. Has anyone used this stuff and how well does it work. Thanks Kevin

Here's the link below:

http://durafix.com/demo/256.html

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. I'm going to have to get some to experiment with. I sculpt in various metals and this may be an alternative to using a TIG for really small work. Thanks for the post!

As far as filling the letters in on the side cover and alternator cover, you can use JB weld if you're going to paint or powdercoat them afterward.

I bought something similar awhile ago.. I still haven't used it.. maybe I need to try it out and document it.

Seems like I got this lesson long ago, in those videos the guy makes it look easy but.... The thing about aluminum is that it is either a solid or a puddle. as long as the aluminum doesn't get too hot, no issues but unlike steel it does not turn red before becoming a puddle. The "solder" he is selling melts at about 700F and Aluminum is up at 1200F so you have a good spread. And it will take a LOT of heat to get that cover up to 700F, more than a propane torch is going to give you. And again with no experience, putting a lot of heat into the center of a big casting like the clutch cover may result in ugliness, warping maybe? since no matter what you add to the "Yamaha" hole it will be visible if you polish the cover, you might as well just toss some bondo in there and paint.

Shaving the surface until the letters are gone is obviously going to be the best way to do it, but filling with JB weld will allow powdercoat. I'll be removing the lettering myself, not because I care if anyone knows it's a Yamaha, but because the style of the lettering doesn't go with the look I'm trying to achieve. The only people who really care what type of bike it is are the ones I don't give a shit about anyway.

As far as what results one can achieve with "Durafix", chopping is all about experimentation, flexing one's creative muscle, learning new things, and sometimes learning the hard way. Obviously this stuff isn't magical and practice is going to be required, but why not give it a shot? Chopping is also about having fun.

My brother fixed his aluminum boat with stuff like this about 10 years ago. Don't know if it was the same product, but it was the same process. Simple as can be, and it worked great. It took about 10 minutes to fix a couple of little poke holes and a 4" gash on the bottom of the boat. My brother welds for a living, and has an eye for it. I'm sure it would have taken me longer. The boat was back on the water the next weekend.

I vote JB weld, its easy to use and my 81 has the letters recessed in the case, I cant see how one could file them till they are gone, would make for a paper thin case side I think.
jb weld, let dry and sand away amd paint or powdercoat.

It does seem like the cover would be too thin after shaving it down, but it does work, as a lot of guys have done it and haven't had any problems with it.

I used bondo on mine, it's holding up so far, but when it overheated last year the letters melted down a little.:laugh: JB Weld would have been a better choice.

That allumaloy crap works fine for filling in low spots, but it has absolutely no tensile strength. You need a aluminum welder setup if it's going to be load bearing. Like I said, JB Weld would be easier.

When people ask me what type of bike mine is I make up all sorts of bullshit...sometimes it's british, sometimes german, sometimes it's a royal enfield. Of course anyone that knows anything will spot that engine from a mile away.

As far as what results one can achieve with "Durafix", chopping is all about experimentation, flexing one's creative muscle, learning new things, and sometimes learning the hard way. Obviously this stuff isn't magical and practice is going to be required, but why not give it a shot? Chopping is also about having fun.

Teebs Thanks for your thoughts and the info. I think this stuff has the ability to used in different ways but I just dont want to screw up something that will have to be replased.....

Then you should definitely go with the JB weld. It's going to be easy to use and as long as you prep well before paint/powder it comes out great.

Here's a (perhaps dumb) question. Why can't you simply fill in the letters with weld? Like brazing to build up material? Or a pro aluminum welder to make many many short clean passes to buil it all up, then sand it down.

Posted via Mobile

Here's a (perhaps dumb) question. Why can't you simply fill in the letters with weld? Like brazing to build up material? Or a pro aluminum welder to make many many short clean passes to buil it all up, then sand it down.

Posted via Mobile

why go through the hassle and possible heat warpage when its basically filling a non structural area with jb, it hardens super hard and molds easily and sands out great, and craploads cheaper than a jig and a welder and his time

I don't know the amout of heat jb weld can take, but could you fill it near the top with jb weld then top it off with the durafix? That way the heat is not on the cover as long.

I wasn't talking about going to town with the TIG and warping the case. Just little one inch passes every few minutes to allow for cooling. There's no rush, just take your time and do it with a welder. That's what I meant earlier. I've never even used JB weld so I can't offer much opinion on that.

Posted via Mobile

I don't know the amout of heat jb weld can take, but could you fill it near the top with jb weld then top it off with the durafix? That way the heat is not on the cover as long.

dlabkeeg, Great idea.... I think I might have to try it this way. I dont want to weld but builing it up and the covering it would be a great way. then possiably sand it and polish it out...

Back