UK Street Tracker - build thread

Shakey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
In response to a couple of the recent threads about back ends and custom seats and suchlike, I though it was time to update my build. I have been putting up pics in my build album (not sure how to link to it from here), but the pics are in reverse order with latest first, so I am starting a proper build thread.

Here's what I started with
http://www.xs650.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18266&stc=1&d=1339346505

full

with FZR front and back end...
full

rebuilt rephased engine
full

trying the battery box as a rear light/number plate mount (don't need the battery box as I have fitted a PMA set-up and will only be running a tiny 12v 0.8ah battery in an false oil tank/electrics box (see further down).
full

here's where I cut the battery box
full

cut and mounted
full

with number plate bracket and indicators
full

and then with the rear light I am using - Hinkley Triumph LED rear light from a T595i I think
full

Modified a tailpiece from an SRX600 - cut down the middle and widened with fibreglass, plus extrat glass 'skirts' either side (as opposed to grass skirts which would have just looked daft...).
full

Looking quite homogenous
full

and the light works!
full

Once this lot was sorted I could start thinking about a seat pan. I figured fibreglass would work best. I started by cutting two plywood boards to sit down between the frame rails, both on top of the 'oil tank' mounting plates (see below) and on top of the battery box mount. masking tape, then aluminium tape over all of that, well-waxed. I then separated the fibreglass base with its integral front seat mount and bolted the two ply boards through the glass to captive nuts on the steel straps you can see here
full

and here
full

here's a close up of the front mount
full

One of those fortunate build coincidences occurred when I was finalising the mounting of the modified oil tank I am using as an electrics box. As I am running a PMA I figured my 12v 0.8ah battery, reg/rec and fusebox would all fit inside an old oil tank I had lying around. I also had a pair of engine plates that I acquired as part of an old Triumph pre-unit chop build a few years ago (hence the oil tank too). I cut the plates to fit in the old battery box location above the new monoshock mount and made up plates for the oil tank that would locate with existing holes on the engine plates.
full

full

full

full

full

here's where it locates with the seat's front mount
full

seat, oil tank and tailpiece combo
full

Louvered cap hides the reg/rec unit, which is a very lucky fit
full

full

The other side has a foam block holding the battery and fuse box
full

full

Have been steadily progressing with the build. Made a bracket to mount the carb support springs

bracket1.jpg
bracket2.jpg
carbmount.jpg

powder coated frame

frame1.jpg
engine1.jpg
enginein.jpg

and paintwork done

tankpaint1.jpg
tankpaint2.jpg
tailpaint.jpg

Nearly completed new wiring loom, but curiously the left rear indicator (led) stops working when the lights are switched on:shrug: Have to look into that one.
Nearly ready for fluids and test run. More pics of the whole bike together soon - picking up the seat from my upholsterer buddy on Wednesday hopefully.

Attachments

• coils.jpg
    coils.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 93
Finally the bike lives and breathes! Today I rode it to the test station where it sailed through its MOT. The ride is smoooooooth and with the reverse cones sounds awesome.
Here's how it turned out:
P1030159 Resized.jpg

P1030155 Resized.jpg

Thanks Paul. I'm subscribed to your build thread too - keep up the good work

Hey Shakey, Your bike looks n sounds great!
I've been lookin for my Daytonas tail light. I see You have it Mate.
It is real good to hear your engine running dam good.
You had some fun with that. I also like the color choice.
All in all Ya did a fine job. Nice one of a kind custom bike! :cheers:

What color is that? I am planing on using a brownish color in my next build.

Great feedback guys, thanks. My inspiration for the colour was Rude's cafe from some months ago, and the monoshock inspiration was from 50Gary's build on 650motorcycles.com plus Goingsmoto's seminal build from this site and others.
Pete - what's a sawzall???

Carbon - the tail light was a real bonus. LED but plenty bright enough and a good shape to mould the tail unit to. The colour is a candy orange that my paint guy matched from a few photos I had been gathering, plus the all-important 2K clearcoat which seems to make a real difference.
As many have said - it wouldn't have happened without the support and knowledge of this forum:thumbsup: (i was looking for a *salute* smiley but couldn't find one...)

Shakey You are the man. The bike looks great and sounds better. You did a rephase on that motor if I remember right. The seat and tail section says ride all day. You are a really good bike builder. Well thought out and well built. :thumbsup: You have been busy. Thanks for the up date.

Back