Understanding BS38s

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am taking my carbs apart again and I thought I would take pics as I go and ask dumb questions :wink2:
Started by taking the float bowl off:
bowl.png

bowl2.png

any other holes I should check for blockage in the float bowl area?

Checked float height with my high tech tool - cheap metal ruler that starts at zero and some tape at 25mm as per manual.
IMG-20120614-00213.jpg

Took apart choke lever and rod mechanism.
chokerod.jpg

Took choke plunger apart.
topofplunger.jpg

Took off this plate that connects plunger to main body.
yeh.png

If anyone could help my with my question marks in the photos that would be great.
I am fundamentally trying to clean and check my choke circuit so any tips about how to actually do this?
Have been reading the carb guide but not really sure how exactly to do this part.

The small jet in your 1st pic is the pilot jet. The starter or "choke" jet is located near the bottom of that "tunnel" connected to the choke intake hole .....

ChokeJet.jpg

The brass tube with the tiny hole in your second pic is the choke feed or intake. It fits down into that "tunnel" and draws fuel up into the choke body through the choke jet. Check that the tiny hole is clear. Also check that the choke jet is as well. If your bowls get dirty, the choke jet is one of the 1st things to plug up. It draws fuel from near the bottom of the bowl so if there's dirt in there, when you turn the choke on, it sucks it right in. Here's how to check the choke jet and see if it's clear .....

ChokeJet2.jpg

Your 5? port feeds the pilot fuel/air mix up into the carb. Those angled ports on either side of the needle jet are air feeds from the bell mouth. One feeds the pilot jet, the other the main/needle jet.

When I clean the chokes, I rarely remove the housing. The holes in there are pretty big and rarely, if ever, plug up. I do pull and clean the plunger. Yours needs that, lol.

5twins you are a legend - I blasted all the choke parts with carb cleaner and triple checked the choke intake with your light method (genius!) and put them back together.
Put the carbs back on the bike and 2nd kick, we have motorcycle : )
now onto syncing and jet fine tuning.

Back