3 position spring loaded key switch?

The only thing that comes to mind is if you would accidently kill the motor in say an intersection or stop light it's much easier to hit the starter button with your thumb than fumbling with an ignition switch.

I used a lawn tractor key switch on a custom Honda Shadow i built. Thus far it has worked flawlessly and it was cheap! It took some time to identify what each of the five terminals were for on the back of the key switch, not a big deal though. The harness that plugs into the back of the switch is easily found at a good lawn and garden repair shop.
Only down side is that the keys are generally universal, meaning that any key could work in the switch I used. Cut key specific switches are available for more money. I would research if the switch you want to use has replacement and or unique, secure keys.

The only thing that comes to mind is if you would accidently kill the motor in say an intersection or stop light it's much easier to hit the starter button with your thumb than fumbling with an ignition switch.

Also, you will not be able to do a compression check unless you pull a fuse for the ignition, if you have one. The key switch is also going to provide battery when in the start position whereas the starter solenoid needs a ground. You can easily rewire to accommodate battery to operate the solenoid, but then you will lose the safety relay feature, the clutch safety feature and the neutral safety feature, so you will eventually start the engine with it in gear using your left hand so you will only have one hand on the handlebars when the engine roars into life and launches you across the intersection just as the light turns red and the other traffic starts across the intersection. So, it's best to install a relay to convert the switched battery to ground so all of the bikes safety wiring can stay the way it is.

But, if it's all about the "cool" factor, then I would install a relay to convert the keyswitch battery into a ground for the solenoid and leave the factory start button installed and functioning so I can just push the button when in a stalled condition in traffic with a semi behind me, but look cool the rest of the time. It's the same as going kick only but leaving the starter motor where it is. Looking cool has it's price.

Last edited:
Didn't know a switch could be cool : )
Just trying to redo my wiring after purchasing your pamco Pete and installing Hugh's PMA.
Rest of my old wiring is a mess so have taken it out and since I've been kicking it all the time lately thought it would be really simple to have the switch near the battery and just use the starter when I couldn't be arsed to kick. And cut down on all the wiring going up under the tank and then back again. I am gonna follow the diagram below (found in our tech section) so have already taken out the safety relay. Didn't know I was putting myself in danger - my other bike doesn't have one so I thought I could cope without.
simplewithstarter.png

Back