XS650 Build - Classic bobber

mustys

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey there, Here is some progress on my xs650 build. I want to acheive something in the style of a harley 48.

4-5 years ago the bike has been restored from a damaged one and modified to be a bit lower. (New rear fender, longer swing arm)

gtUEY.jpg

LXNGFh.jpg

Then I decided I wanted to make it look a bit better. Stared tearing it apart

LOlbNh.jpg

Painted the engine
aRKeHh.jpg

A bit of work later, received the black powdercoated frame. I sprayed the tank and covers flat orange and flat black.
k1abAh.jpg

NbZrP.jpg

This is the new wheel I will use for the front. I found a pair of 42mm forks from an old yamaha sport bike, refinished them. Fork clamps (bigger ones) and totally custom, i got them laser cut. Same thing for the disc brake. Still some work needed to be done on those parts.
7Fmq3h.jpg

I don't really know what i'm going to use to hook up a speedometer. THe only solution I see is to go with a GPS one.

Fitting my new tail light
pRCNch.jpg

Still wondering about what kind of graphic I could use on the tank, I could use some suggestions

More to come!

Update - The rear fender is in, brake light and blinkers are installed

8i9NF.jpg

I made the setup for the crankcase breather

mGDOJ.jpg

Now i'm painting small parts, waiting to receive my fork clamps to start building the front suspension

KOkaZ.jpg

At first glance, your first picture when the bike was still red reminded me of a sportster. It looks like the build it going well. The picture of your painted engine wouldn't load on my computer, but from what I can see, Im digging the black!

Yeah, it seems that the engine picture isn't working.

Today i received my exhaust wrapping :D

Rb0Mdh.jpg

Also, bad surprise : when bolting in my valve covers I heard a "pop"... cracked one

rdhi9h.jpg

I guess it was due!

UPDATE

Since I can't find a machinist to finish my new fork clamps, I mounted my old forks and wheel so I can ride the bike sooner. I am pretty happy with the results.

Still a couple things need to be done : finish wiring, make exhaust baffles, make license plate holder, but this is taking form nicely :)

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1505.jpg

It does have a bit of a Sportster look about it but being that Sportsters and XSs seem to fit so well together that isn't a bad thing. Heck, I've got Sportster turn signals on my XS.

Back