my 1976 xs650 bobber project

capriottikidd

XS650 Member
Reaction score
whats up guys, ive been checking out this website for 3 months and stalking craigslist looking for a good donor bike. i finally lucked out and pulled the tigger on a 1976 xs650 special for 550 running and everything. ive been working on mini bikes and stuff since i was 12 so im pretty good with my hands. im 17 now and super stoked to be building this bike, ive been waiting sooo long. ok enough with the talking heres some pictures to show some progress.
i want to drill "speed holes" into the mag wheels.
parts list so far....
-tc bros hardtail
-lane splitter handle bars
-battery box and electronics tank
-ignition switch
-fender strut kit
-P-nut gas tank from lowbros
and just ordered dual sport tires for front and back\

and i dont know how i forgot, but i didnt take a pic of the stock complete bike but oh well
this is about a week of work so far hopefully finishing within the next 2 weeks!
Please any comments and ideas are welcome im looking to do some cool stuff to it

starting to dissasemble
photo-158.jpg

exhaust gone
photo-162.jpg

chopped her arse off
photo-164.jpg

welded on a new one!
photo-165.jpg

mock up with rear wheel tank and bars
photo-166.jpg

shes a roller
photo-168.jpg

from the back
photo-170.jpg

next to my 71 chevelle
photo-169.jpg

header pipes on... still undecided for the exhaust... thats my friend working on his mini haha
photo-171.jpg

Last edited:
not much of an update for today..
i had a full free day after school today, i was expecting my seat to come and it didn't, something happened with UPS and now it wont be here till tomorrow.
so i dug into the wiring harness, i figured i would just start from scratch because. im going to have a headlight, tailight, and electric starter. still undecided with the electric starter. i want to keep the wiring as simple and tucked away as possible
quik question.. do i need the voltage regulator? how do i wire it up with out it?
also, does anyone know the stock # of chain links on a 1976 xs650? thanks for the help tomorrow should show alot more progess
Later
photo-171-1.jpg

only a few things left to doo... got to mount and wire up the head light and tailight. then its time to tear it all down for paint!

Attachments

• photo-175.JPG
    photo-175.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 240
  • photo-173.JPG
    photo-173.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 224
yeh actually i got it wired pretty quickly.. kickstart only, and i have ridden the bike plenty of times so far so i started to disassemble the bike and grinded off all the old tabs and neck gusset(going to make a new neck gusset) then its time to paint it all up !

finally got it all apart to paint, check it out.....

Attachments

• photo-180.JPG
    photo-180.JPG
    137.2 KB · Views: 221
  • photo-182.JPG
    photo-182.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 208
  • photo-183.JPG
    photo-183.JPG
    137.6 KB · Views: 201
  • photo-184.JPG
    photo-184.JPG