Gas Cap Lock Picker

grepper

fiddle futzer
Reaction score
I did it! I was able to pop the gas cap open with out a key!

I've been searching for a stock Standard gas cap, not one of those crappy after market ones. I ended up buying a tank cheap, just for the cap. But no Key.

Those steel strips inside old windshield wipers can be pretty useful. I bent the tip just a little bit to make a tiny tool that will slip under the cap, but able to push the lever. Looking at an other gas cap, I was able to guess the position of the lever mechanism that clips onto that little bar. Slipping the strip under the lock, pushing down on the cap and feeling for the part that moves, I was able to pop the lock.

As for the key, I just open the key barrel an pull the pins so any key works.

Attachments

• 2012-12-07_16-28-06_783.jpg
    2012-12-07_16-28-06_783.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 522
Swapping the sliding plates around will sometimes make your key work. I have an assortment of the plates from parts bike locks and several I pulled out of my dealer's boneyard. I've re-keyed both seat and tank locks to work with the keys I have.

Did you go over(and push against the backbone) or under(pushing on the hook) the bar?

Did you go over(and push against the backbone) or under(pushing on the hook) the bar?

Under, cought the edge of the catch hook. When I thought I was touching it, I pushed down on the cap and could feel it move a little out. So I push a little with my wire tool and the cap popped open.

how'd you take the cylinder out to pull the pins for any key to work? I'm in the same boat....I have a tank cap that I disasembled but can't figure out how to remove the lock to yank the pins....

how'd you take the cylinder out to pull the pins for any key to work? I'm in the same boat....I have a tank cap that I disasembled but can't figure out how to remove the lock to yank the pins....

A couple of screws under the cap takes the lock apart.

Well yes, maybe. But once you have the lock assembly out in your hand, you still need to get the lock cylinder out of it. The deepest sliding plate in the cylinder is what retains it in the lock housing. You need to reach way in to the bottom and slide that last plate one way or the other to release the cylinder from the housing. I use a long dental pick with a slight curve on the end.

Well yes, maybe. But once you have the lock assembly out in your hand, you still need to get the lock cylinder out of it. The deepest sliding plate in the cylinder is what retains it in the lock housing. You need to reach way in to the bottom and slide that last plate one way or the other to release the cylinder from the housing. I use a long dental pick with a slight curve on the end.

thats exactly where I'm at....I'll give it a shot....

should I be putting the dental pic in from the top(key) side or from the back/bottom of the cylinder?

Here;s from a post I made in another thread, with pictures.

If you don't want the locking feature of your gas cap, it is easy enough to disable. Takes 15-20 minutes.
1. Take gas cap off tank.
2. Remove lock cylinder. First unscrew the two small screw. Put aside latch assembly. Where the lock cylinder is housed, you will see a small brass tab. Using a thin screwdriver or pick push the tab into the cylinder and at the same time push the cylinder out of the housing. Once out of the housing you will notice 3 other tabs, besides the tab that locks the cylinder to the housing. Remove those tabs, but not the locking tab.
3. Replace the cylinder by pushing the tab in and sliding into the housing.
4. Put everything back together. Use a nail or thin screwdriver to hold the latch in position while reassembling.

You should be able to open the gas with any key or flat object that will fit in the cylinder.

Attachments

• IMG_0729.JPG
    IMG_0729.JPG
    279.1 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0723.JPG
    IMG_0723.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0720.JPG
    IMG_0720.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_0715.JPG
    IMG_0715.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0711.JPG
    IMG_0711.JPG
    292.7 KB · Views: 469
There are a fair number of different key "profiles" so you can't always match it to the ignition key but a good thread all around. I have opened quite a few caps with a similar tool.

Thanks for adding the details guys... It's hard to explain without pictures.
I'm going to try Pete's trick.

I really need to get some pics of this. Until then, I'm going to utilize a couple of hmusket's excellent shots. When you insert the (proper) key into the lock cylinder and turn it, that little nub on the bottom pushes the sliding plate which releases the hook catch .....

CapLock3.jpg

If you have no key, pushing the part of the sliding plate in that protrudes out the front of the lock assembly should release the latch for you .....

CapLock2.jpg

Now, many times this is easier said than done because the exposed portion of plate is tucked up into the cap. A stiff piece of sheet metal with a little 90° bend on the end might do it I think. I've done it with little screwdrivers but it can be a pain to get up in there. Try it on a cap you already have open and you'll see just what and how much you need to push.

I wasn't making a joke. This tool works. The pointy end will push on the bar. It's not a good solution for every day, but it will get the job done.
6a00e5536e652088330168e515f1d2970c-800wi

Last edited:
I tried Pete's trick for the no-key cas cap. This one is a standard cap, and I have no key.
1. The lock is a bit more recessed in the cap, so I ground out a groove.
2013-01-26_23-48-13_839.jpg

2. Made my metal button/tag from a strip of steel, bent just right.
2013-01-26_23-48-24_881.jpg

3. Didn't want to mess with the little nub on the back of the lock, so I ground it down.
2013-01-26_23-48-31_720.jpg

4. Reassembled the cap and I'm done
2013-01-26_23-48-45_515.jpg

2013-01-26_23-54-44_537.jpg

Back