x pipes

FLEA

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
has any one tried these pipes.x pipes/ mx1 x pipe/ monty campbell exhausts.hes on xs650 e bay usa making some very big claims.if true they could be very interesting.(sorry dont know how to link it :banghead:)

The claims are obviously over-inflated. Anyone that actually had a bolt on item with true gains of that magnitude would have a path beaten to his door, and EVERYONE would know about it. The only bolt on item I've ever seen in my 60 years that could deliver anywhere near those kinds of gains is a turbo-charger, and even that requires carb tuning.

DLD1

I researched them during my roadracer build. They do add some performance, technique commong for hi pro cars, but product is overpriced and manufacturing quality is not great. Also dealing with the guy was a "challenge". I went another way.

Although I haven't built a lot of cycle exhausts, I used to road race SCCA sports cars and formula cars, and over many years we tried just about every configuration of exhausts that we could dream up. My experience tends to lean towards a 2-1 system. I doubt that an X system would buy you anything over a properly dimensioned 2-1.

bit the bullet and ordered one, mainly for the clearence for forward controls on a stock bike,will post the results in a couple of months

I would like to see a hp/torque curve to see what if any power increase there is in the usuable power band. I don't think I've ever had my XS up to 8K rpms. Stock vs 2 into 1 vs x pipe would be very interesting.

Sounds like total crap to me. All I get treading his E-bay ad is the overly loud TV add that I usually put on mute.:laugh:

Do keep us posted flea, With pictures!
No pic showing the "X" might be telling. I would think you could have Gorden Scott make you a set also. Jardeen? had cross overs up near the head back in the day That seemed to be a dubious "improvement".
All in all it would be nice to see some dyno figures on various pipe configuations. The old tuning book seems like it covered things pretty well, header length can move the power band around some, if you go to large diameter pipes an anti reversion cone is needed, megaphone type mufflers help scavenge, after that you might be looking at smoke and mirrors. Like somone said, bolt on horse power doesn't "just happen".

Shell Thuett didn't even turn HIS engines to 8 grand.Good grief,where do people come up with this stuff? 40 percent increase? Laughable at best. If the "X" pipe works so well why didn't they use them in racing the Yamahas? Oh,this guy must "know" more about tuning than those old masters I suppose. Yes,I for sure would like to see the dyno readout on them,especially with no jet changes. More "Snake Oil".

There's a user on this forum, ryan79, who has these on his bike:

View attachment 21487

Looks like the same pipes to me! I don't know much about them, but I've personally heard the bike running, and it sounds great (for what little that's worth!). I think they look pretty good, but having to (possibly) remove them to change the oil would get old! Maybe Ryan will chime in and tell us all a little more about how they actually work...

DSC01541.jpg

This is the Campbell X-pipe on an XS11. Here is the thread, if interested. There isn't much help there, I'm afraid. It did require moving the side stand and removing the center stand.
http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32643&highlight=campbell+x-pipe&page=3

he has sent me a photo of under the bike.on the 650 you have to remove the center stand and use the exsiting bolts and bolt on to stand brackets.it kind of looks to be a mix of a exspansion chamber and balance pipe (cross over) but it doesnt look like ill have to move the sidestand.its not going to be cheap but if it gets me back on the road it will be worth it.there is suppose to be a bloke in cairns who has a dyno suitible for old bikes if i can track him down and hes not to exspensive it could be intresting.(sorry no photos till i find some one to show me how) anyway to late now have already paid for it, just have to wait 3/4 weeks and chew finger nails

I'm glad I found this I'm going to have Gordon Scott fab me up some when it comes time. I'm just wondering about sound difference vs the standard H style pipe. So keep us informed.

Shell Thuett didn't even turn HIS engines to 8 grand.Good grief,where do people come up with this stuff? 40 percent increase? Laughable at best. If the "X" pipe works so well why didn't they use them in racing the Yamahas? Oh,this guy must "know" more about tuning than those old masters I suppose. Yes,I for sure would like to see the dyno readout on them,especially with no jet changes. More "Snake Oil".

That does pretty much tell all doesn't it!

if you look at his website he seems to make them for a varies num of bikes so 8000 revs might be with another bike (generic add) the 40%.. i wish. but even 5% increase would be good so long as i dont lose any.but will just have to wait and keep chewing finger nails

Back