Dick's Street Tracker

DickECCP

DickECCP
Reaction score
Sorry for the late intro, It took me a few months to learn my way around, do a lot of reading and make sure this is where I was going to stay for a while.
Quick background: been riding bikes since about 85', owned about 20 of them. Currently have a 05' Electra Glide, 65' Triumph chop, and this 79' XS650. Trying to make a street tracker out of it without it turning into a total custom rebuild, just something real fun to ride around.

Dick

A few pics.
full

full
full
full

Welcome aboard Dick nice to have another Tracker build on here for sure.

I would like to see more pics of your rear hoop and shock mount if you have any further that where you left off?? The bobber guys all have nice kits for this of various kinds, I just got my seat and tank so rear hoop is up next for me kind of like what you have got started there. So please do share or keep us posted as you go.

Ya, that's pretty much where I left off today. Actually got one of the shock mounts made but not weled on yet. I should wrap it up tomorrow evening, and I'll post some pics. Got to figure out what angle I want the shocks to be for ride height and such.

Welcome. The tracker going together nicely like the tank. Good to see you are building and not just buying parts and bolt on and done. :D

The miller welding machines are nice to have in the shop. I have a millermatic 250 a great machine as you well know. I don't tig any more the hands went. I bought my bike from a guy in Pasadena, nice area. Nice shop by the way. :thumbsup:

Ya thanks, thoase Millers are great machines. Unfortunately their not mine though. I have a small metal shop at my work that I have full access to. It gets to be a pain to load the bike up, take it to the shop, weld, go home, forget a tab or something, load it back up etc... But hell free electricity and gas, it's not to much of a pain.:) The shop is close to me anyway, over in Curtis Bay.
Here's a couple of pics from my front fork rebuild. I shaved the caliper brackets off from the left side fork. I also powder coated the lowers. I have a Harbor Frieght powder machine and a free oven from the craigslist. Works great if you buy the good quality powder and prep the metal real good. I also have a bead blaster at my work that I use, so that's the way to go.
full
full
My high tech seal driver
full
another "special tool"
full
full

I think I got the rear tank mount worked out. I'm just going to use the stock mount on the tank and welded a blank stud for it to fit over. I'll then just drill and tap the stud and put a panhead allen to hold it in place.

full

full

full

full

I also am pretty much done with the sub frame/seat base. I also got most of the tabs welded on for the side covers and battery box.

full

full

full

DICK
I like the direction you are taking her, I was very close to using a similar tank and i decided after seeing XSFranks XS750 tank with an aircraft type filler to go the other way, Racer Dave had a Ali YZ tank same shape a yours

The tank is steel. It was advertised as a 1975 DT400 tank. I got the steel one so I could weld on it, maybe have to notch it for the engine mount, not sure yet, maybe just make a new motor mount. Also probably have to relocate the pet cock. I think the steel one's are a little easier to work with. Plus those aluminum ones go for big bucks. The frame mounts were identical! perfect width. I'll get some pictures in a little.

Back