Built Not Bought Bobber and Parts

foofopps

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
UPDATE on page 2. 9/6/14

I figured it was time to start my build thread even though I have not gotten too much building done yet. I bought a running 1981 xs650 special II in October for $750 with the plan to do a complete bare bones bobber.
The day I bought it.
416974_10100179476040574_2110451156_n_zps3e4f6964.jpg

Then I tore it all down
252357_10100194229863794_733446879_n_zpsd8784241.jpg

Here is some inpiration. I love the stance of this bike, but I will be running red powder coated spoked 16's front and rear with whitewalls :D
photo3_zps07ac9b1a.jpg

Right now I'm waiting for my Ardtail hardtail to arrive which will be any day now. Also, Buchanan's built my front wheel for a staggering $300 after shipping both ways :doh:...pics soon.

I figured while I'm waiting on some big items to arrive I will start with some smalls. As the title of my thread states I am a firm believer in the Built Not Bought moto taking into consideration everyone has a different level of skill. Yes I paid for Buchanan's to lace my wheel as that is something I've never done and even if I did lace it, it would not have been trued. Having said that I'm trying to build a bike that is one of a kind and as many hand made one off parts that is feasible. I have seen a lot of members on here do some incredible work and would like to see that continue as it is just too easy to order mass produced parts and slap them on.

I'm not going to say this is my orginal idea. I saw that seven sins choppers makes a really cool Elvis style microphone tail light but I thought A) it was over priced and B) I could do better. So I went on ebay and snagged one for $80.
photo_zps3a99334c.png

I then bought an 1157 bulb socket for $1.50 on ebay and put it all together.
CIMG0500_zpsa7dbaf50.jpg
CIMG0501_zps257d8221.jpg

I'm not done yet, I'm going to line the inside with brass screen and red laminex or paint the bulb red.

My next project is my headlight. Bought this 1915 Cadillac Brass headlight for $75 on ebay. It was painted black so I have spent hours with a brillo pad and wire wheel removing the paint. Next I'm going to yellow the glass that came with it, drill in a toggle switch, and maybe do an LED bulb.
CIMG0504_zpsc458e319.jpg
CIMG0503_zps1b97c1db.jpg
CIMG0502_zps7e4393eb.jpg

My next project is going to be my electronics tank. As usual I'm going with the Built Not Bought moto and also trying to stray away from the common ammo can or fake oil tank.
I got this awesome vintage fire fighter flashlight for free! It's perfect for my build because I am a fire fighter.
CIMG0505_zps58bb7ee5.jpg

Hope you enjoy and hopefully I will have many more photos to come.

Last edited:
Thanks dude, I really wanted to run a headlight like this but they are about $350 on ebay.
dscf1364_zps5d92e2d2.jpg

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity that bike didn't come out of the Milwaukee area or did it? Low miles?

Just out of curiosity that bike didn't come out of the Milwaukee area or did it? Low miles?

Bike came from St. Charles, IL area. Owner had it for one year, he previously got it locally from a family friend. Miles are about 10k.

I can not believe you paid $750 for that bike with 10k on it. Is that normal for the mid west? That bike would be 2-3k here. Looks like you're off to a great start, re-purposed parts are awesome.

I can not believe you paid $750 for that bike with 10k on it. Is that normal for the mid west? That bike would be 2-3k here. Looks like you're off to a great start, re-purposed parts are awesome.

I got a pretty good deal, but it in my area running bikes can be had for 1k with a little patience.

Irving Park and Broadway (Buena Park). My bike is in Addison. In the summer every Wendsday at the Holiday Club (Irving Park and Sheridan) there is a bike gathering of bobbers and Cafe bikes.

Irving Park and Broadway (Buena Park). My bike is in Addison. In the summer every Wendsday at the Holiday Club (Irving Park and Sheridan) there is a bike gathering of bobbers and Cafe bikes.

Awesome, if my bike tunrs out anything like the picture in my head I will enjoy showing it off.

Ive looked for similar lights on Ebay and your are correct. Those can get real expensive. Great score.... Subscribed

Back