77 XS650 Bobber Build

Ketis

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first motorcycle, and it is also my first build.

I have mostly done work with cars in the past, so this should be a nice learning experience.

I picked this bike up about 2 weeks ago and it looked like this

20130116215710277.jpg

Bike has a pamco ignition, and the odometer reads 14k. Started on the first kick when i put gas in it and hooked the pamco to a battery.

I ordered a hardtail from ardcore along with a license plate bracket.
A heap of stuff from tcbros
Some stuff from mikes XS
and Hugh from Hugh's Handbuilt really hooked it up with this build.

In the next few weeks im planning on getting the hardtail installed, the PMA, shaved forks, forward controls, and a ton of other stuff.

The other night i installed the handlebars and front headlight and stripped some of the stuff off of it.

20130131205907998.jpg

Right now, im looking for a cole foster tank, so if anyone has a lead on one let me know!

Last edited:
Today, i rebuilt the carbs.

They were pretty grimey and i did my best to make them nice again.

Its no OldSchoolCarbs quality, but i think they came out nice.

Before

1002404o.jpg

After

20130202192404407.jpg

20130202192422329.jpg

20130202192349611.jpg

Congrats and welcome! Got my 77 yesterday! The carb looks really good! What did you do? Gold plate?? lol What paint did you use? I was wondering since my bike came in half and all the electrical is in a box(YEA LUCKY ME!) Do 77's have a fuse box? I can't see one in my treasure trunk! Keep the picks coming!

I think there is only one inline fuse on a '77 ( or '78 ) . I have stock wiring that is in mint condition , so I haven't had to do much with the electrical , but I have gone over all the connections and components and there doesn't seem to be a fuse box .

Congrats and welcome! Got my 77 yesterday! The carb looks really good! What did you do? Gold plate?? lol What paint did you use? I was wondering since my bike came in half and all the electrical is in a box(YEA LUCKY ME!) Do 77's have a fuse box? I can't see one in my treasure trunk! Keep the picks coming!

Thanks!

As for the paint, it is rustoleum brass colored paint.

The entire electrical system was taken out of my bike when i got it. So i am unsure on the fuse box

I ordered a PMA from Hugh and am going to completely redo it.

I wrapped my exhaust in some titanium lava rock wrap and mounted up my TC bros forward controls. I didnt setup the linkage yet, i want to wait until i get the ardcore tail installed to see where i want it all.

20130206212904462.jpg

Got the bike stripped down and the ardtail installed.

I FINALLY got it after waiting 8 weeks...

here are the pics.

20130319191219832.jpg

20130319210941222.jpg

Im hoping to get it welded up either tomorrow or Thursday :D

So, this bike has a fork lock built into it, and i have 3 different keys for the bike and none of them fit that lock.

Is it really worth it to get a key made for it? Or should i just grind it off?

Got the hard tail welded today and got most of the stuff mocked up.

Here are a couple of pics i took. (its really hard to take pics when your mind is racing about all the things you need to do)

20130323210801142.jpg

2013032401052589.jpg

Im really digging this cole foster tank

Man, That's lookin' good Ketis! Is that a bag setup I see?

Yeah, im not sure how i want to do it yet, i want to get the seat hinge welded and the bags hooked up to air so i can see what height i want it. Im hoping they give enough comfort-ability to go on some long rides.

Bike looks great man. Yeah these Cole Fosters go quick. Big Harley following. Got on a call list with K&G cycles for mine. And the way the rep tells it, each retailer only gets a few of them so you have to get em quick

Damn first time seeing your build! Tank is perfect with that ardcore tail!! Love the seat choice btw. Definitely following this one!

Got some work done tonight!

went with a different fender than origional (had 6" trailer fender) and now i have the gasbox 18" fender from lowbrow

got the rear brake stay welded
bottom fender mount done
air bag bracket welded
bracket for electrical box

here are the pics, im ALMOST ready for powder, just a couple of little things here and there.

20130402224428186.jpg

20130402224649416.jpg

Good choice Ketis,that fender is a better match to the foster tank.
Hey could you do me a favor and post some pics of your rear axle adjuster and spacer setup?
I'm wanting to setup mine with adjusters like yours and do away with the stock adjusters.

The adjuster is part of the ardcore tail.

its basically just threaded couplers welded on the axle plates with a bolt and a jamb nut.

looks like this welded to the frame
coupler01.jpg

Ardcore was supposed to send me spacers but they did not, so the axle/wheel isnt setup, the axle is just pushed through at the moment.

Back