XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #1
rusty rocket
XS650 Addict

Default Anybody look down there nose at your xs?

Had a punk kid on one of my job sites over hear a conversation about working on my motorcycle. He asks what kind of bike I was working on and I said a xs650 yamaha tracker, he gives me this stupid I,m better than you look and they rolls up his sleave to show me his stupid ass h-d tattoo. I told him whatever buddy Let me guess you have a sportster and he says well yeah but im saving up for a big twin (WHATEVER YA PUKE). Ive had triumphs, BSA,s, bmw, Huskys and a Harley and always had complements on all but my xs. What gives is it because I live near Sturgis and this is Harley country? I dont think people give the xs the credit it deserves. anybody else get this crap from people.
rusty rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
CDNTX650
XS650 Guru

Default Re: Anybody look down there nose at your xs?

Id rather have a sporty than anything else in their line up.....Mid controls and unlimited customization. Big twin..Billet dump truck or tassled dump truck. hmm. Neighbour next door to me has a new Fat boy... I think i saw him out like 5 times last summer on it. As bad as the sportbikes around here. 2000km's on an 06 GSXR for sale, tons of em like that. Fuck i put 17000 km's on my 2010 Versys already, Plus 11,000 to the east coast coming up in summer here., Atleast they look good in the garage..

2010 Kawasaki Versys
1974 TX650A resto modded and never done.
1985 KLR250.....time capsule with some light mods.
1993 KLR250...rough looking, but refreshed mechanically (wifes bike)
spare XS650 motor...slow build to 750 with a decent cam.
CDNTX650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
ember
XS650 Addict

I have had the same happen, until they actually see my bike, then they seem to shut their mouth. I always remind them I built it, and they walked onto a lot to purchase theirs.
ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:08 PM   #4
weekendrider
Iron Horse cowboy

If you think the hardly folk are tough, park in a group of broken wingers.

All of them say XS650, but none of them run exactly the same.
weekendrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #5
retiredgentleman
XS650 Guru

Nope.

When I go to bike nights, I'm usually the only XS650 there, and other bikers give me lots of compliments. They all have the story about when they had an XS650, and wish they never sold it. One biker I keep running into, has asked me several times to sell it to him, but I just say its not for sale. I've even had guys in cars, in an adjacent lane on the highway, give me the thumbs up signal. Sometimes I feel like a rock star

Yeah, must be that HD country area you live in. The locals may not even know there are other makes besides HD's.

78SE, Pamco Ignition with E-advancer and Accel #140403S Coil, dual bridge rectifiers, VR-115 regulator, LED tail/brake, BS38 carbs, OEM air boxes, OEM manifolds, OEM exhaust, Heiden Oil filter/cooler, 17/33 gearing, analog voltmeter, Brembo 4 piston calipers front and rear, "All Balls" roller steering bearings
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Johnt3
Still learning...

I've had both good and bad comments here.More good than bad.People either dig it or think it's not a harley so why am I building it.I feel sorry for those poor unfortunate SOB's. I've got plenty of friends with harleys and they don't care what I ride, just that I ride.I love it because you won't see one like it anytime soon around here.
Johnt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
weekendrider
Iron Horse cowboy

rusty remind him you ride a v(ertical)-twin also and let him think about it.

All of them say XS650, but none of them run exactly the same.
weekendrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
AceofSpades
XS650 Addict

My 75 always got a bunch of compliments... even from the most grizzled HD guys... I don't know how anyone else will like my full custom I am building now.. and when the old 650 ate up a few local 883s... I can't wait to see what happens when I save up for a rephased 750...

I had a few thought it was a Triumph or a Norton at first glance...(engine all flat black & no name plates)..
AceofSpades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
TurboFarviknugn
XS650 Addict

Actually have 3 other guys at work 2 ride hd's and the other a v star, they dont make fun of my bike any more since we all cruised over to an ice house for a few beers and 20+ people came over to check out my bike and theirs didnt even get a SECOND LOOK ! Bwhaaaaaa shut them right up !!

MMMmmmm................ BEER !!!
TurboFarviknugn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #10
Johnt3
Still learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFarviknugn View Post
Actually have 3 other guys at work 2 ride hd's and the other a v star, they dont make fun of my bike any more since we all cruised over to an ice house for a few beers and 20+ people came over to check out my bike and theirs didnt even get a SECOND LOOK ! Bwhaaaaaa shut them right up !!
Now that's funny!
Johnt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #11
flthead
XS650 Addict

ive always had old harleys [30's-50's ] an still have 'em . got into xs650 couple years ago . harley parts are thru the roof . wanted to get back to building affordable fun bikes again . never get to much heat from the h-d guys now for riding jap stuff.when i do its usually the new yuppie with the brand new h-d , thats when i laugh at 'em an tell 'em someday ill own a harley ... only if he knew what i got home , flattys an pans.something the'll never own or know how to ride or wrench on !!
flthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
rusty rocket
XS650 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendrider View Post
rusty remind him you ride a v(ertical)-twin also and let him think about it.
I think the kid is to stupid to get it. No wait I KNOW the kid is to stupid to get it.
rusty rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
bergoff
XS650 Addict

I've had a few funny looks. But mostly have been complements. I went to the hardware store and when I came out there was a father and son taking pictures of my bike. Which is nothing special and is not a show piece. He was telling him that he had a bike like this when he was a kid. And asked if I would sell it.

I'm still trying to find a large Jap Crap patch that I put on my jacket.

79 xs650 special stock air box mac 2-1 header no muffler
bergoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #14
hotrdd
XS650 Junkie

Mines more "Rat bike" than fancy but in Alberta I get a lot of thumbs up and compliments for having a bike this old and wrenching on it myself. Drives my wife nuts when she's around and people are gushing over the bike...

I dreamt it, I wrenched it, I ride it

1976 XS650, Rebuilt engine, BS 38 Carbs, Open exhaust and intakes, Boyer Ignition, AGM Battery, Virago XV(front rim, forks, rotor and speedo), maxim 550 rear rim.
hotrdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
Newagerocker
XS650 Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rocket View Post
Had a punk kid on one of my job sites over hear a conversation about working on my motorcycle. He asks what kind of bike I was working on and I said a xs650 yamaha tracker, he gives me this stupid I,m better than you look and they rolls up his sleave to show me his stupid ass h-d tattoo. I told him whatever buddy Let me guess you have a sportster and he says well yeah but im saving up for a big twin (WHATEVER YA PUKE). Ive had triumphs, BSA,s, bmw, Huskys and a Harley and always had complements on all but my xs. What gives is it because I live near Sturgis and this is Harley country? I dont think people give the xs the credit it deserves. anybody else get this crap from people.
Don't know; sure as hell don't care!
Newagerocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Downeaster
Everything in XS

Nope. I get ignored a lot when I wave at Yuppies on Harleys and $30,000 Wingers, but when I stop for gas or whatever, the folks that bother to comment are usually positive and often curious.

1979 XS650SF. Sport bars, Brit-style mufflers and braided brake lines added, plastic badges and extraneous electronics removed. Otherwise, bone stock and gonna stay that way! Update: Added PAMCO. Slowly being dragged into the 21st Century...
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
angus67
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

im my biggest critic. I get alot of looks, but no one ever says anything. seattle freeze, you know.

1980 xs chop, bored to 680, kick only. ridgid. bs34's xsjohn's needles. 46pilot, 140 MJ.
2003 suzuki 800 Marauder. Stage three carbs with uni foams, 45/55 pilots, 132.5/ 142.5 Mj's, debaffled pipes. MIG subscribed
angus67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
oldbiker
oldbiker

Talking Re: Anybody look down there nose at your xs?

hi guys ,,,,,i,d have to say yes,,,,,,BUT,,,, i,d say its the want/a/be persons ,,,,that will never buy or own /ride a bike....regards oldbiker
oldbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #19
hmusket
CBMMA Member

For most folks its a lot easier to buy a new bike, like some sort of Harley, than to find a working or salvagable XS650 for 1/10th the cost. so it might just be a case of xs envy.
hmusket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
FLEA
XS650 Addict

i like my xs,i luv my xs but funny enough i also due to injurys also own a piggio mp3 250(the one with 2 wheels on the front)scooter which i use as a runner around.when i park it out side the pub and a large num of harleys come through(im on theweekend bike circit) people walk stright pass the harleys to spend time looking over the mp3 (doesnt it give them the shits) some times think alot of people are over the harley crazy given they dont hold their value/they all look simmerler/and cost a fortune for parts and to keep running,not to menshion the atitudes.where here in oz xs,s are going up in value/relible/and parts are not to dear
FLEA is offline   Reply With Quote