oven curing VHT paint

Muneio

XS650 Argonaut
Reaction score
Has anyone cured any of the VHT high temp paints in their oven? If so how bad is the smell? Is it going to ruin my wifes oven? She's gone for the weekend so nows my opportunity :D

Thanks Bill

Last time I used a torch, but if I remember right, it needs 600 degs for the last stage and household ovens don't really go that high... as for the smell it wasn't that bad, but I was in a well ventilated area

Posted via Mobile

I wouldn't do it. Park it in the hot sun for a couple days. You might actually blister the paint in an oven.

Also, there are various VHT products from header paint which you can oven cure or cure by running the engine, to Engine Enamel which has some ceramic and is good up to a hot engine (500F), caliper (less temp) or regular enamel (little heat resistance).

I like the VHT product line. Hit their web site, it astonishing all the aerosol products they are developing these days.

I built a box out of foil face insulation ans stuck a heat gun in through a hole. Worked great for me.

Hey Travis,
They turned out great. Not much odor. 200 degrees isn't all that hot really. Not sure how durable it will be? Oh and I don't think I made it clear but I only was doing the calipers and some other small parts not the whole engine :yikes:
P7240001.JPG

Soda blasted
P7240002.JPG

High temp primer
P7260003.JPG

Caliper paint baked @ 200 for 60 min

If you plan on cooking more small parts I might suggest getting a toaster oven. Not to expensive new, dirt cheap at garage/lawn sales. For some what larger parts, a regular electric stove with working oven. Keep them in the garage.
May help keep the peace on the home front.

Back