Ready to de rust my tank

tshadow6

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I finally was able to remove both fuel petcocks today. I was unable to loosen the last bolt, (it was beginning to strip) so I took the whole tank to my local hardware store. A clerk that looked like a retired 1% pointed me to the right screwdriver bits. I had the bolt off in the parking lot 5 minutes later. Should I use the washing soda/battery charger technique or solvent and nuts/bolts?

You can mix a little gas and oil and slosh right after you de-rust and seal. That will take care of the flash rust. I will never use any sealer again. Tony C

Check out my post in the carbs section. I don't bother with sealers either. Once you have the tank clean you shouldn't need it if cared for properly. If it's still crusty inside, you're not done yet.

I've heard por15 is best. reviews on the creme were bad. I bought some por15 to use but decided not to. To get rid of rust I used Muratic acid/water soution with nuts and bolts on a wire.. It ate the Rust out in less than 5 min. then rinsed with water a bunch ... compressed air blow dry then 2cycle oil and gas coat.. I figure plain metal is best.. just use a secondary fuel filter.

So forgive my newb question here, but what exactly is the 'proper technique' for caring for a tank. Other than the obvious keep it full of gas. To be perfectly honest, ive never done a thing to any bike tank ive ever owned. Only one had a rust problem, and that was when i rode it away from the dealer!

Too many stories about tank liners going bad and no way to remedy them except burning them out, no thankyou. Electrolysis is amazing and cheap, phosphoric acid after that for a protective coating and to stop the flash rust, hot water and baking soda rinse after that to neutralize the acid and quick drying, use soft water if possible.

Phosphoric acid is available as Ospho, naval jelly or some toilet bowl cleaners.

Dilute the Phosphoric acid with water and avoid contact with good paint.

Electrolysis is done with Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda, not baking soda.

Scott

Last edited:
^ +1 the KISS operation in action.
To help you understand what nj1639 said I'll add some visuals.
Started on the fourth. Finished on the 6th.
<$10 to do.
And I line the ones I keep. Red Kote won't let you down.

Attachments

• 02-04-13_1315.jpg
    02-04-13_1315.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 107
  • 02-06-13_1145.jpg
    02-06-13_1145.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 99
  • 02-06-13_1153.jpg
    02-06-13_1153.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 120
Back