cam chain dampening

inxs

xx
Reaction score
- some time ago i installed one of these into my hack...im pretty happy with it and am considering trying one out on my 750 rephased motor-am pretty sure it will handle it

HSKS-1r.jpg

ZY049...for 1976 models on

- this is a self contained hydraulically damped cam chain adjuster...has an internal oil reservoir which is pressurised when you install it...and controls the chain oscillations reducing cam chain noise considerably and is supposed to reduce cam chain wear...it is fitted and adjusted just like the stock one, you just do it up slowly to allow the hydraulic damper to adjust until the pin is level with the end of the nut, even if the hydraulics fail it will work the same as the stock item on the spring only

zy048_01_jpg.jpg

ZY048...for 74-75 models only

- there is no unit for earlier models

file.jpg

ZY048 and the original for comparison

- as a bonus the better managed cam chain has a positive effect on cam-based ignition systems like my pamco

- costs 79 euros + postage from twins-inn ... for those that cant communicate in german, no problem, wolfgang knows a little english...best to contact him by email as he can be hard to get hold of... webmaster@Twins-Inn.de

- ..and controls the chain oscillations reducing cam chain noise considerably and is supposed to reduce cam chain wear...
Do you agree that it really reduces cam chain noise inxs or is that just wot it says in the advert???

inxs, Thanks for the post! Is there a translator for the twins-inn site? I couldn't locate it if so. I'd like to know more about the reinforced sump filter I saw on there. In fact there seems to be alot of nice bits and parts.

- ratcheting, most apparent at idle, is exactly the point of these...it sets up oscillations in the chain, especially the slack half which is why you need 2mm play in the original adjuster...the spring serves to help counter this, however itself is subject to simple harmonic motion as it has no dampening mechanism

- the dampener allows the forward motion of the ratchet to occur as required and slows the pulsing catch-up motion of the chain as the cam and crank catch up with each other...this removes the chain slap we have learnt to put up with

- there are 2 aspects to ratcheting

-crank related due to both pistons pumping together-i have mostly overcome this by rephasing​

-cam related due to slowing during valve opening and speeding up from the release of closing-im about to directly address this by installing the dampener in my rephase motor​

- i am currently operating this in a 360° motor with very good results

welcome, john.
You say, "sorry for the long rant", but in my memories of the 650 garage forum, you always have extremely interesting and informative posts.
Your post never seem too agressive, or intimidating. As far as I can remember, you ALWAYS bring expert opinion on any subject.
Again, welcome.

UH OH Travis, you had to ask huh.No, I like John, he's a good egg in my book.He, of course, will tell us all how he did it, and the reserch that went into it before hand. And, don't you ever ask him about his diaphram needle kit's, we'll hear about that for the next 20 year's. Kidding John,his needle's are top notch, good performer's. Follow his direction and those BS34'S will run like never before.John, take a looky in the member's & see who's just come aboard. Start at the B'S , then the R's.
Oh yea, almost forgot, do not mention cyl. temp's either,,,,Gordon

No he did not get deleted. He edited his own post to just show ".....xsjohn ". I guess he didn't like that political discussion is not allowed here, so I think he left... and took his previous comments with him. :shrug:

UH OH Travis, you had to ask huh.No, I like John, he's a good egg in my book.He, of course, will tell us all how he did it, and the reserch that went into it before hand. And, don't you ever ask him about his diaphram needle kit's, we'll hear about that for the next 20 year's. Kidding John,his needle's are top notch, good performer's. Follow his direction and those BS34'S will run like never before.John, take a looky in the member's & see who's just come aboard. Start at the B'S , then the R's.
Oh yea, almost forgot, do not mention cyl. temp's either,,,,Gordon

haha.. I've read quite a bit of his postings elsewhere regarding needles and cylinder temps. He's very passionate about these bikes! :bike:

Back