NOOB wiring Questions, HELP!

CaseySmithersxs

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Im prepping for brat kit, and I know there is NO way im going to be able to fit all of this stuff in a small elect box. Can someone tell me what each pic is? And if there is a way I can clean up or simplify all of this crap. I was looking into the TC Bros Chopper wireing kit, and the Rectifier/Regulator but im not sure if it would help clean everything up. Elect is not my strong suit.. HUGE thanks im advance.

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Pi 2.jpg
    Pi 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 99
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 114
  • pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 112
  • pic 5.jpg
    pic 5.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 100
In your manual the wiring diagram names each part. If you can't decide what it is by pin orientation and number of wires the Yamaha manual shows the shape of each connector and they are all different.
You do have a manual in the shitter right?

Actually I did have a manual and a Haynes book, but we had a bad storm a while back, neighbors tree fell on my shop, and the water got my books... So thats why Im here. lol

PIC 2 is your Starter Solenoid switch. It is connected to the positive terminal on your battery and your Starter.

Okay so I think ive narrowed down pic 1 as the Recitifier, Pic 2 Starter Solenoid, Pic 3 Regulator. Not sure what is in pics 4 and 5. Where is the "fuse box", and what all can I delete? Plan on having a car style ignition with no push button start? Sorry for all the questions guys, I just dont want to jump into this and muff everything up lol.

Last edited:
Maybe I should put it all out on the table to make it simpler. 1977 XS650. Im going to try to put my headlight off/on and low/hi switches on the headlight housing. Small bullet style blinkers front and back/OR if I can find a good size brake light/turn signal combined then I will use that(if you know where I can find one let me know!) Car style ignition with no push start. OEM point ignition. What all in those pics above can I get rid of, and where is the fuse box? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
#1...........Rectifier, looks to be in sad shape, toss it into the garbage. There are threads showing how to make your own from 2 bridge rectifiers.
#2...........Starter relay (solenoid)
#3...........Regulator (looks OK but a VR-115 works much,much better)
#4...........left side looks like Self Cancelling Unit, if it has 5 wires
right side is Reserve Lighting Device
#5...........Safety Relay

There is no fuse box on a 1977, only one 20 amp main fuse.

You can unplug the Self Cancelling Unit, as its not needed, and its safer without it.

You can unplug the Reserve Lighting Device, as its not needed ( swaps over Low beam to High beam when low beam fails). If you leave it unplugged, you need to connect the blue/black to the blue/yellow to make the headlight work.

The Safety Relay is used to prevent accidentily engaging the starer motor while the engine is running. It disengages the starter motor as soon as the alternator produces voltage. Its a good thing to keep using. If you don't use it then you would have to connect the red/white to the other red/white at the SR harness.

#1...........Rectifier, looks to be in sad shape, toss it into the garbage. There are threads showing how to make your own from 2 bridge rectifiers.
#2...........Starter relay (solenoid)
#3...........Regulator (looks OK but a VR-115 works much,much better)
#5...........Safety Relay

There is no fuse box on a 1977, only one 20 amp main fuse.

You can unplug the Self Cancelling Unit, as its not needed, and its safer without it.

You can unplug the Reserve Lighting Device, as its not needed ( swaps over Low beam to High beam when low beam fails). If you leave it unplugged, you need to connect the blue/black to the blue/yellow to make the headlight work.

The Safety Relay is used to prevent accidentily engaging the starer motor while the engine is running. It disengages the starter motor as soon as the alternator produces voltage. Its a good thing to keep using. If you don't use it then you would have to connect the red/white to the other red/white at the SR harness.

Good stuff!!! So would you recomend me making my own fuse box? Or just use the single main fuse? And how exactly would I get the turn signals to work with a different switch?(like an on/off/on switch) or is there another way to keep the switch off the handlebars/where is the blinker control? And since im not going to have a start button(just a car style ignition) would i still need the safety relay?

Last edited:
Good stuff!!! So would you recomend me making my own fuse box? Or just use the single main fuse? And how exactly would I get the turn signals to work with a different switch?(like an on/off/on switch) or is there another way to keep the switch off the handlebars/where is the blinker control? And since im not going to have a start button(just a car style ignition) would i still need the safety relay?

A single main fuse will work.................that's what Yamaha designed for the 1970 to 1978 Standard bikes. In the 1978 Special, Yamaha thought it was better to have 4 fuses total. 20 amp main fuse, 10 amp for headlight, 10 amp for ignition, and 10 amp for everything else (signals,horn, brake switches etc.) Its your choice. Fuses prevent the wiring harness catching on fire when you have a short circuit, so I like them.:)

For me there's only one location for the turn signals switch, and that is on the left handlebar. The stock switch works well, but there must be after market switches available too.

I recommend you keep the Safety Relay. Again its your choice.

A single main fuse will work.................that's what Yamaha designed for the 1970 to 1978 Standard bikes. In the 1978 Special, Yamaha thought it was better to have 4 fuses total. 20 amp main fuse, 10 amp for headlight, 10 amp for ignition, and 10 amp for everything else (signals,horn, brake switches etc.) Its your choice. Fuses prevent the wiring harness catching on fire when you have a short circuit, so I like them.:)

For me there's only one location for the turn signals switch, and that is on the left handlebar. The stock switch works well, but there must be after market switches available too.

I recommend you keep the Safety Relay. Again its your choice.

Once again, I appreciate all the help and info. But since I wont have a push button the ifnition SHOULDNT turn over again, since my hand wont be ok the key. Right? Lol. And where is the blinker module to make the blinkers, so say "blink" lol. And do I need a non LED dual ELEMENT turn signal to run blinkers/running light/brake light on one light? Will a on/off/on switch work for blinkers work? How would I wire this?

The part on the left side only has 3 wires. What is it?

The part on the left side only has 3 wires. What is it?

If only 3 wires then that would likely be the Light Checker. Not needed, so it can just be unplugged .

You need to buy a manual.

I've been out riding...................its 26 C here today, beautiful weather :bike:

Back