Front wheel alignment issue (what am I missing/doing wrong!?)

franklyfranks

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I was putting my front and rear wheels on today for a mock and ran into some issues with the front's alignment. I have '72 frame, '73 triple tree, 74/75 forks, and 74/75 wheel. I have the speedo drive and dust cover on there. Is there something else I'm missing or am I doing this wrong? I've checked year compatibility on all the parts a bunch of times and I'm 99% sure this should bolt together. Thanks in advance for any help.
Here are some pics...

Here's the front end. You can see how the wheel is shifted to the left in the forks.
photo-1.jpg

Here's the gap on the right side between the speedo and the fork
photo2.jpg

Here's the left side..
photo1.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure about your year but on mine there's about 1/2" of axle sticking out past the clamp on the left side. You seem to have looked at diagrams to confirm all the parts are there.

Isn't the front wheel laced offset to clear the right side brake? What happens if you transfer the speedo goods to the opposite side of the spool?

Xj,
I checked the schematics and it looks like everything is there. All i had that was loose from the wheel was the dust cover on the brake side and the speedo drive on the other.
Jd,
I haven't tried to transfer and am wondering if the rotor would eat up any space. By the looks of it, it doesn't look like it would... :/

Can't see the RH spacer, axle area. The wheel should be laced centered over the hub, no offset.

It is standard to call sides as you are sitting on the bike not looking at it from the front.....

Gary,
Going to take the wheel off and take pictures better pictures today. Hopefully that'll help identify it. Keep forgetting the proper side calling. New to all this.
Thanks guys

Before you pull the wheel, take a shot showing the brake side. We might be able to see what you are missing.
Leo

Leo,
sounds good. I also have the link under the last picture that shows a little bit of the brake side. I'm going to try and embed the picture cause I feel like it's not working.
thanks guys

since you are using 72 forks with a later wheel I wonder if the floating disc setup be not used is the problem, that disc carrier must take up some spacing on the wheel/axle

alright guys,
here are some new pictures of what i got going..

this is the brake side with the wheel shifted to the rider's left and the speedo drive in place. when I did this the wheel was pretty much perfectly center but to secure the speedo drive on that tab on the fork, the axle had to be shifted quite a bit out of the clamping collar thing on the bottom of the fork on the riders left, leaving hardly any space to thread the nut on the rider's right as you can see in the photo.
photo4-1.jpg

here's the wheel with the dust cover removed and the brake side hub internals.
photo5.jpg

here's the speedo drive side, speedo removed and hub internals..
photo5.jpg

something that I'm thinking that i probably should have mentioned. The axle I'm running is from a 1980 xs1100. It was the cheapest thing on ebay and came with the speedo drive. boats.net says everything from that set up is compatible with a 74/75 front end but am wondering if maybe they're wrong??? has anybody had any issues with what they say is compatible and what actually is..

thanks in advance again!

Ah I see, well you need to find the measurement of the triple trees ('73 triple tree, 74/75 forks, and 74/75 wheel.) the center to center spacing of the tubes may be different

xj, that what I'm starting to think. I've done my homework too many times to get the triple tree, fork and wheel stuff wrong and that all came from guys on here. is there anyway one of you could do some axle measuring for me? I would need the over all length, the length of the stopper portion (chrome part) that the speedo sits against and the length of the threaded portion. if anyone has one laying around their garage that'd be a huge help and might sort this whole thing out.
thanks again guys

It's supposed to be the same axle as my bike too. I mentioned already that on the side oppose the nut there's part of the axle that sticks outside the fork about 1/2". That part has a hole through it that you can stick something through to help you pull the axle out. The fiche shows it. Your axle doesn't appear to have that so I doubt it's the right axle.

The axle really isn't the problem. You need more spacers on the brake side so the wheel won't sit so far over to that side. Here's what a properly spaced speedo drive side looks like. This will center the wheel for you. Add spacers to the brake side so your speedo side resembles this .....

FrontAxleGap.jpg

Axle should be 10" overall and from threads to where it gets big 7"

xs650 front 001.JPG

This wheel has the disk on the "wrong side" but that doesn't affect spacing.

xs650 front 003.jpg

xs650 front 002.jpg

photo1.jpg

I am still stumped on this.

Attachments

• xs650 front 001.JPG
    xs650 front 001.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 115
  • xs650 front 003.jpg
    xs650 front 003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 141
  • xs650 front 002.jpg
    xs650 front 002.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 128
gggary,
think we're onto something. Just measured my axle. 10" overall length but 8" from tip of threads to fat end portion...would that extra inch account for the proper spacing?

5 twins, I'm thinking of just throwing a spacer in there if I can't figure it out and calling it. only thing is the way it sits with the speedo drive properly seated, i don't have enough threaded portion to get down past the safety clip hole.

Back