Yamaha YZF front forks modification!

Airwolfie

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
A HUGE thanks to Ants on the UK forum, who has helped me getting this sorted! He has a machine shop close to him that was very helpful, and only cost £90 to do.

Basically they pressed out the R1 stem, enlarged the hole on the bottom tree, added a sleeve with a lip to it, pressed the XS stem into that, and welded it up at the bottom, and then made another sleeve for the top to reduce the size of the hole and made me a nice collar to go over the top! HOPEFULLY it will just be a matter of slipping the bearings on and tightening the nut. I will do this at some point this weekend and report back on this!

Here are some pics to show what they did....

Bottom tree with the sleeve...

9580572522_e5fb91fc68_b.jpg

9577787269_0a8f1b969b_b.jpg

Top tree with the sleeve..

9577791093_0ef3d65650_b.jpg

9580576708_7c60447982_b.jpg

And the collar on top..

9577782811_917f0b565f_b.jpg

And the whole assembly....

9577780479_72b74ab6ea_b.jpg

And here they are on the bike. Unfortunately it's pissing down with rain here at the mo so no outdoor shot I'm afraid! Maybe tomorrow!

9581694969_ecd311a19e_b.jpg

Spacers for the wheels. I'll put up some measurements when I next take the wheel off again.

9727931330_9135b5c84a_b.jpg

9724700393_bf216c4222_b.jpg

Bearings are 22mmx47mmx17mm, same width and outer diameter as the originals, but 22mm on the inside.

The same with the seals, except they are a tad bigger on the inside because of the spacers(28mm), and the one side has a 56mm outer diameter. This is if you will be using a stock XS wheel.

Next step is to mount the discs and calipers, I chose to stick with the R1's. HOPEFULLY it will simplify the mod to be able to use them. Of course you can use stock xs calipers and fabricate a bracket to fit, but that's up to you.

Looking great. I've done a few fork swaps myself. I'm looking to swap some modern usd forks onto my xs. With all of your knowledge written here, I may just go this same route. Although I think I may have some gsxr forks already, hmmm

Does the xs disc diameter work out ok for the r1 brakes?

Looking great. I've done a few fork swaps myself. I'm looking to swap some modern usd forks onto my xs. With all of your knowledge written here, I may just go this same route. Although I think I may have some gsxr forks already, hmmm

Does the xs disc diameter work out ok for the r1 brakes?

Funny that you may ask! I might have a look this weekend.

I just put the discs on so I can check that at some point. I'll let you know when I do.

I think there may have to be some form of spacer for the disc to move out a bit further as the calipers are millimeters away from the spokes, this much I know so far!!

Your stock brakes are 298mm diameter. The R1 stock is 320mm diameter. The R1 calipers are made for a 5mm disc thickness. Your stock XS disc is 7mm thick and won't go into the slot. Re-aligning the caliper to the correct sweep area with a 5mm disc would work. Personally, I'd be looking for a way to use an R1 disc and caliper. Nice upgrade to a great 4-pot caliper.

Thanks Jd! you wouldn't happen to know the inner diameter of an R1 disc? The part where you bolt them onto the wheel?

I'll check later if there would be a lot involved in getting the disc to fit, otherwise I may have to look into what you said.........

Thanks Jd! you wouldn't happen to know the inner diameter of an R1 disc? The part where you bolt them onto the wheel?

I'll check later if there would be a lot involved in getting the disc to fit, otherwise I may have to look into what you said.........

The r1 calipers are very good calipers. I swapped a set onto my last gsxr, it was a nice upgrade.
I may have some 05 gsxr calipers laying around if that would somehow help you, but I don't think it will.

An R1 disc won't bolt on an XS hub but luckily several other modern ones do, Ducati being the most plentiful.

Go to the link I posted above. It has the Ducati discs on there. All the superbike wheels have the same bolt pattern. Not sure on the offset though. That sight might have the info you need on that.

Back