List of States to get titles easily

ShaggyXS

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all. I know there are a lot of guys on here who have obtained titles for Bill of sale bikes. So what's your story? Maybe we can put a list of states and the varying degree of difficulty or lack of difficulty in getting titles. I may need to get a title for my 72. Still waiting to hear back from the older lady who gave the bike to us. If she won't play ball I'll be looking into other options.

In Nebraska, just have the VIN number and $100.00 Bill and you get a Salvage title.
They just run the VIN to make sure it is not Stolen, takes about 20 minutes.
Plate it in Ne then transfer the title..

Iowa a couple pics, explaination of how you came by the beast 3 year bonded title (depends on value) then it's yours, best thing to do is check your DMV and find someone who knows their job hotrodders go through this all the time there is a way to title old iron it's just how much of a song and dance you have to go through

I doubt any state out there is easier than Michigan. If the bike is 20 years or older it cost next to nothing. All you need is to fill out a quick little form saying where you got the bike and how much you paid for it. They run the vin and if it comes back clear, they'll charge you 6% sales tax on what you paid (I always say I paid $50) and then $15's to print the title. Super easy. Takes about 45 minutes to walk out with a title.

Wisconsin SUCKS!!!!! for lost titles. I got one done with a nod and a wink more or less but root canal surgery is pleasant by comparison.

WDMV
All who enter here, give up hope.

In Nebraska, just have the VIN number and $100.00 Bill and you get a Salvage title.
They just run the VIN to make sure it is not Stolen, takes about 20 minutes.
Plate it in Ne then transfer the title..

How do you know this? When I checked into getting a title for my bike I was told there was multiple hoops to go through.

That is what I did to get the Title for my old Truck I restored. They keep the $100.00
if it is not reported stolen, it is a pretty good gig for them..
I had no trouble. I just had to trailer it up to Dakota Co Court House and the Sheriff
came out, wrote the VIN down, ran through the computer...
Got my Title.. That was 15 yrs ago tho.. They issue you a SALVAGE Title. But you can put it on the road Legally.
good luck.
Larry

That is what I did to get the Title for my old Truck I restored. They keep the $100.00
if it is not reported stolen, it is a pretty good gig for them..
I had no trouble. I just had to trailer it up to Dakota Co Court House and the Sheriff
came out, wrote the VIN down, ran through the computer...
Got my Title.. That was 15 yrs ago tho.. They issue you a SALVAGE Title. But you can put it on the road Legally.
good luck.
Larry

This not the case in NE with getting a title for a motorcycle if you do not have a title and are not the last titled owner. It takes about 60 days to get everything done to get one and the biggest expense would be the cost of the surety bond you need to get if the last titled owner wants the bike back which covers the value of the bike. They get the money and you get to keep the bike.

If you are the previously titled owner you just go get a new title.

Im in texas and ive got a signed title with no bill of sale. Its a really tough signature too.the title changed hands a few times without being transfered so I cant just get the title owner to sign the title application. I called about it and they said I have to have a signed title application for the title to mean anything. They said I could go with a bonded title but thats a process

Man that stinks , BUT is fair! After the title search and they cant get the last owner,
what then?
Still 60 Days isn't bad...
Larry

Can you ask for a dupe Original Title then go back to the Org Owner?
It is all about approach, respect, ASK nice...
keep me posted..
friends
Larry

In washington all you have to do is get a VIN check with the state patrol. If it comes up clear you can go to the DMV and get it registered in your name same day, then you get a 3 year temporary title. After 3 years you get a real title for the bike. I've gone through the process once with an XS, and just bought an XS with a temp title. Transferring ownership is easy.

I doubt any state out there is easier than Michigan. If the bike is 20 years or older it cost next to nothing. All you need is to fill out a quick little form saying where you got the bike and how much you paid for it. They run the vin and if it comes back clear, they'll charge you 6% sales tax on what you paid (I always say I paid $50) and then $15's to print the title. Super easy. Takes about 45 minutes to walk out with a title.

That's what I did a few years back, but I had to come back the next day to get the results of the vin being run.

I'm in the process of doing this again for a 75 CB750. This time around I bought the bike at an auction from someone bought it off the previous owner's widow. I have the title, but it's not signed over. Went to the SOS (in East Lansing in fact) and told them my story. They told me the guy I bout it from would have to get a title with a death certificate, then transfer it to me. :banghead: The other option they gave me was to get insurance on it and a Surety Bond on the title for twice the value. I still don't really grasp what a Surety Bond is, the definition on Wikipedia is a bit vague. So I called up a local insurance agent and got one for $100. Today I plan on making another trip to the SOS with all the proper paperwork in hand.

They make this way to hard. Should be run the vin once comes back clean, run it 30 days later still clean, hand you a title. To many barn bikes and old cars with no titles that are just sitting up

In Alabama anything 25 years or older doesn't require a title. Bill of sale only. Trouble is, 25 years or older they won't issue a title... Even if you have one. You can register it though and I believe it would be transferable to another state?

Last bike I did, took about 5 minutes. Easy peasy...

To avoid a salvage title you can say you have always owned it but lost the title. Make damn sure it's not hot though.
Not that I would do anything like this...just sayin....

Posted via Mobile

Back