Mag machining

FrkyMnky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So I am not a big fan of mags in stock form, however I would like to do more than simply drill them out like so many others. I am thinking of milling out the center of the spokes to some extent, but the kicker is I don't have a mill. I was thinking of drilling the start and stop points and then using a jig saw to connect and remove the center material. Just wondering if you guys had any other ideas on how to do it without taking it to the machine shop. Trying to save money on this.

Wonder how strong that would be? taking the i out of the I beam
Not tryin to down you, just havent seen them completly taken out.

people have done it, and to the xs. im sure it holds fine. Lots of hand work with a file and saw im sure. Why not go spoke if you hate mag?

Someone from The greater south Pacific co-prosperity sphere did that. He split each spoke into two slotted sections and left some web between the slots and the flange. He's still posting so.........
I'll try to find a pic.

More recently a "Pro" builder completely removed ALL the web on a customer's wheels, scared the hell out of me....

I mounted up a set of heritage wheels and they didn't look right with my build. I will keep a set of spokes just in case, but I think the mags are going to look sick once everything is done and painted.

image-28.jpg

Thanks for the links Gary. Not 100% on the idea yet, but I would love to do it. Would likely take quite a few hours by hand though.

Back