Engine Mounting Bolts

Rez Fink

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there a source where all engine mounting bolts are sold as a kit?

When I bought my 80 heritage special the engine was out and a miscellaneous parts box came with it. Now Im trying to sort through it and puzzle it back together.

So I guess my next question - is there a list of sizes for these bolts so I can measure them up? I know I have most bolts (i hope) but I know some are missing too.

Can I get these at Home Depot or True Value?

Im actually in the same boat..ebay has kits i believe...im trying to source a stainless bolt set in 12 point male torx...not really sure if thats exactly the name of them..if i find anything out ill let ya know

Are you talking about the long mount bolts that bolt the engine to the frame? If so, its VERY difficult to find those sizes in metric.

Ok so these are the bolts i found... where do they go ? notice that one of the heads is different.

I slid them in all the different engine mounting spots on the frame (with the engine in) and they seem too long. BUT keep in mind that there is nothing else on the frame.. just the engine and frame thats it.

maybe when something else gets added like a foot peg or whatever that will make the bolts the right length?

from my recollection... there are 6 engine mounting bolts that attach to the FRAME... 2 up front...2 on top... 1 on seat post...and 1 underneath.

so i have the 2 on top...and the 3 in the picture where i don't know where they go.

(i have no idea why the fricken picture link won't show) :banghead:

It looks like flicker has f#$%d up linking to their site, typical. I should do a photo shoot and measurement of all the mount bolts. It is pretty normal for at least one of the front mount long bolts to be some fuggled up "will fit" because of highway pegs, and or a crash bar stuck on the bike. There is an SAE size that "will fit" those front bolts also. Those are two different lengths from the factory.

Stolen from Thumper talk who stole it from elsewhere;

For a Part Number in the format XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The first three digits are the Model Code (every model in the Yamaha Product Line has a unique model number) all parts are given a Model Code of the first model they were used on.

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The middle five digits are the Basic Code number and indicates the actual part, i.e. 11631 = piston; 11311 = cylinder, etc.
A "W" substituted in the first position of this five-digit group (000-W0000-00-00) indicates a factory assembled kit which differs in content from the original assembly used in production (i.e. 2M0-W0046-00-00 – Rear Break Pad Ass’y).

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The next two digits are the Design Code and Design Change digits (so 01 means the part has had one design change). This part may or may not appear different, but it will be interchangeable with the original part.

XXX-XXXXX-XX-XX
The last two digits are the Color or Finish Code.

For a Part Number in the format XXXXX-XXXXX-XX

All these parts are Hardware (fasteners), they all start with a '9' and end in '00'.
The second and third digits tells us what type of fastener:

0 - 'various'
1 - bolts, cotter pins
2 - screws, nuts
3 - oil seals, O-rings, bearings
4 - spark plugs
5 - bolts, nuts
6 - ISO bolts
7 - ISO screws and nuts

The fourth and fifth digits tell us what material/surface finish (e.g. chromed).
Digits six and seven give the diameter (inner or outer) e.g. 08 would be an M8 size.
Digits eight, nine and ten are the length (except for '901' bolts for some reason)
There are also standard fastener types...e.g.

90105-XXXXX are Washer based bolts
90116-XXXXX are Studs
90401-XXXXX are Union bolts
99999-XXXXX means that a part has been superceded by a kit.

Many thanks to;
www.benefisca

So you can look up the yamaha part numbers at any of the online dealers or the Star motorcycle site and decode all the needed dimensions.

Or just post an ad in the classies here and some guy will ship you a set of the right bolts.

The last time I needed one of the long bolts I just went to a dealer. They were still available. Check boats.net to purchase online.

i'm pretty sure they are M10 X 1.00, length well that is up for you to measure. I have found them on Fastnal website all besides the very long one on the bottom. Plus they are socket cap bolts which i think are a better look.

Last edited:
Lower is m10x1x265mm, front two are m10x1x240 and 245mm, rear 3 are m10x1x110mm. The front two and lower are the only ones you should have any difficulty locating.

OK, so im puzzling all the bolts where they should be....Frky Mnky that little bit of info has been dam helpful...

whats the bolt size thats on the seat post?? not the triangle engine stay but the single bolt towards the bottom of the seat post?? (i used a ruler and it looks like a m10 x 1 x 120) ?

ALSO i have a bolt thats M10 x 1 x 290mm......! what the heck does that go to?? maybe the swing arm?

fwiw, These bolts need to be shouldered, that is, not threaded the entire length of the bolt. the threads will eat there way thru the aluminum.

This is the early frame parts fiche. You need the one for your `80.
Are you talking about mount bolt #16?

Attachments

• Frame-256.jpg
    Frame-256.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,045
Back