fitting allballs top race

I didn't use an All Balls kit but my races were a snug fit, snug enough to need a driver. A piece of 1/2 inch All thread rod, nuts and washers.
Maybe you got the wrong kit.
Leo

Perhaps the wrong part in the kit, is the bottom race ok? Try contacting All Ball's Tell them the situation, Maybe they can make it right.
Leo

lower seems fine cant find telco for allballs but i will continue the search. seems setbacks are getting normal now that the paint is back. another week or so for the chrome

I used All Balls and they were tight.

After removing old units, grind the sides down slightly so they drop fit back in, they make perfect race drivers.

ok, today i located the original race and it also fits loose when clean and measures 1.890" OD. am i being overly picky, my experience in mechanics is 40+ years with automatic transmissions as a specialty, clearances were always critical.

the yamaha manual simply says "install both races and balls into the top of the steering head" this is after putting the stem into the neck. kinda sounds like the race should just drop in.

On later models, both the original ball races and the replacement tapered bearing races are an interference fit. They need to be driven in and out. I don't see why the XS1 would be any different. I'm thinking maybe that top race came loose over the years and started turning with the bearings, wearing its hole in the neck bigger.

On later models, both the original ball races and the replacement tapered bearing races are an interference fit. They need to be driven in and out. I don't see why the XS1 would be any different. I'm thinking maybe that top race came loose over the years and started turning with the bearings, wearing its hole in the neck bigger.

Hi 5twins,
BTDT with a hot air gun expanding the bearing pocket and overnighting the race in the deepfreeze.
But the OP is having to fit a race into too big of a housing, no matter how the housing got that way.
The appropriate Loctite compound will do just that.
It's actually an upgrade.
A press-fitted race can fail prematurely if there's too much of an interference fit and be forced out of round if it's housing ain't perfect.
A race that's retained by a resilient compound lives a longer and better life.

Does the top race stick up above the neck just a bit on you XS1 like it does the XS2's.

Attachments

• SE$AT 013.jpg
    SE$AT 013.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 162
Back