Bearing Replacement Issues - GSXR

xlr8tn

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,
Having an issue with my GSXR fork swap. I have a 77 xs650 and purchased the cognito moto stem swap and received 2 sets of 99-3515-5 bearings from all balls racing. I am going to be replacing the front end with a 2003 GSXR 750 front end. I had the gsxr stem pressed out and the new cognito moto one pressed in along with the inner bearing for the bottom. I was told to put back the old xs650 bearing (top part) to use a spacer and then put in the new outer race. However, it is way too small, like 1mm. The bottom of my head tube appears to maybe have worn over the years or something, but half way up there is a ridge. How am I supposed to get this outer bearing race to stay put? The inner diameter measurement of my tube is around 49.05mm...definitely not 48mm.

-Brent

gonna try this...hope it works

Attachments

• 28-shop-class.jpg
    28-shop-class.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 246
Well, I guess I'm spoilt. Having a lathe makes this an easy-to-solve project. I'd turn a precisely fitted spacing ring for this, replicating the installation press-forces.

Outside of that box, I can't think of anything that I'd trust for handling the steering/suspension loads...

Ended up cutting a ruler to spec and bent it around a socket to shape it. The ruler was steel and was 0.5 mm thick which was perfect for what I needed. I was able to tap in my outer race and it is staying put for now. Thanks for all the feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_2887.jpg
    IMG_2887.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2891.jpg
    IMG_2891.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_2893.jpg
    IMG_2893.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 213
Back