Exhaust Reference and I.D. Thread

scott s

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I got this idea from a similar thread over at the SOHC4 forums. Post up pics and, when possible, opinions or reviews of different exhaust systems, past and present.

I'll start with a few that I've personally used.

MikesXS head pipes and eBay Dunstall replica pipes. Ran great, but I was never really happy with the sound of the mufflers, even after drilling a few extra holes in the ends.

Full MikesXS Commando set up on an '83 Heritage Special. Awesome set up, excellent performance and sound, especially for the money.

MikesXS Performance 2-1 exhaust. Noticeable increase in power, but did move the powerband up a little bit. I've ridden behind this bike and it can be a little loud.

The same Commando system posted earlier, but on a standard. Mikes sells two versions of this, the difference being the head pipes. This pic is to illustrate that the H.S. pipes will work on a Standard. Again, one of my favorite systems.

Same bike, stock '74-75 "rocket" mufflers.

Unknown 2-1.
Anyone have any idea who makes this? We sold the chrome one a while back without ever running it. I plan on using the black one on my current build.

My Dad used a set of head pipes that are, I believe, the same on his Brat/Bobber build. He talked to Mike at 650 Central about exhaust tuning and length and made extensions using his suggestions/measurements. Small internal baffles...the "Chinese finger trap" looking things. Ran like a raped ape.

Anyone else? I'm sure someone here has a MAC 2-1 and 2-2 set up to post. And what about the Gordon Scott and Pandemonium stuff?
Any vintage set ups from back in the day? And I don't have any Scrambler/Half Mile type pictures or experience to post.

HHB Speedster pipes with silver ceramic coating & baffles

Attachments

• 22Jun2014_1.jpg
    22Jun2014_1.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 282
Scott,

I think I have that same 2-1 you posted. I bought it off a member on here for cheap, it had a lot of surface rust. Some steel wool brought it back to almost mint condition. It really came out beautiful. Would love to find out the brand name.

Here's a crappy pic, lot of things changed on the bike now:

10950490_1538602786408040_609374161_n.jpg

I put that on over the winter, and never got to ride it or start it because the wiring was all torn off it for my new simplified harness I had made.

I should have the bike back from the shop in about a week or 2. I will definitely update this thread with some sound clips and more pics!

I also got the 2-1 installed. Went on very easy. At first, I thought it might be too loud and "Braapy", but once I got it out of the garage and on the street, it sounds really good. My Dad said it was actually fairly quiet as I rode by, but I think it would have a nice, loud rumble to it once you get into it (I was taking very slow test runs on the project bike. Never really revved it out or got past 3rd gear).

Back