Weird clicking pt.2

Captainplanet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a previous had a previous thread started about a weird "clicking". I got my pamco in and it running and it's still there. We've tried cam chai adjustment and made sure by pulling the advance unit it wasn't off but still no idea. It's an 83. No rephrase or Anthony different.

Quite often the clicking is the cam chain adjuster, as it goes in and out on the spring, when it comes out it is quite quick and the rod taps against the adjuster.

There should be a damper washer of some sort on the plunger to battle that clicking. Many find it missing. Early models used a copper washer, later models like yours had a metal/rubber type .....

CamChainTensioner.jpg

MikesXS sells the later metal/rubber style or you can scrounge one off an SR/XT/TT500.

It would make sense the day that I get the parts I ordered from mikes that I have get more. Thank you for the response. I know we checked when we first heard it and it was still on there. But could be worn

I don't think it's much of a wear item. The important thing is that it is there, providing a soft barrier between the hard steel plunger head and the back of the adjusting screw. Have you tried setting the cam chain tension while the motor is idling? You can hear a ticking if the setting is too loose and adjust it away. If you tighten the adjuster to the point where the plunger stops moving in and out slightly, you've set it too tight. If the noise is still present at that point, it's probably not connected to the tensioner assembly or its setting. Oh, and your video is coming up as "Private".

any copper brass washer will do. take it to the hardware store and find one. I found one in a harbor freight assorted pack. a little thiner, but it helped.

That sound is very similar to I_am_Carbon's video (3-4 years ago?), where he discovered that the front guide's plastic had completely separated, and the camchain was riding on bare aluminum...

I hope that's not it... I really don't want to have to pull
The motor apart. But with the chain adjusted and still a loud click I don't know what else to check.

This is where a mechanic's stethoscope is best used. If you've never used one, try "stethoscope" in the searchbox, and see (or hear?) how others have used them...

Back