CARB Questions read this before posting any QUESTION ON CARBS

funky

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Hi everyone:thumbsup: Please read this before you post any questions on carb jetting, balancing and bad running or idling.

It is advisable that you read about Carbs in the Tech section section (Orange strip below the XS650 forum logo, top of the page. It says home ,forum, topic, TECH and so on)

NUMBER 1 Once you have read in Tech section,,, and stripped cleaned replaced any worn parts, this incudes caskets, diaphrams needles also make sure all the holes and circuits are clear inluding all the jets and any moving parts all springs and washers are presant and in good working order and you have put your carbs back toghether.DONT FORGET TO BALANCE THE CARBS ALSO MIXTURE SCREW NEED TO BE SET :thumbsup:

NUMBER 2 Then make sure the fuel system in good shape tanks clean inside new fuel if been standing for a while, fuel lines and air lines and intakes are clean and clear with no damage including mainofolds gaskits air and intake union rubbers.:thumbsup:

NUMBER 3 your engine is timed right that mean timing chain tension done valve clearance done then timing to spec.:thumbsup:

NUMBER 4 Electrics are on top form good spark good battery good plugs check gaps of points if you have them and plugs.:thumbsup:

You then worry about carb settup and mixtures and jetting.

If your planning on working on your carbs and the engine runs do your engine setup prior to removing them I.E timing chain. valves timimng

If after all the above have been done, you have a problem :doh: then this is the time to post.:thumbsup:..most issues are solved by doing the bit above:yikes: clean, imspect, replace. rebuild. check and double check.:thumbsup:compile a check list :)be methodical in your work.:D it pays in the end hope this helps :thumbsup:

I have posted this hoping it will help reduce the the number of post regarding carbs.
It seems some forums users would benefit from initial diection, to avoid frustration, to them and the admin, also other forum users who seem to be repeating there posts in and indevour to help.
Much of what is asked can be resolved and read on in the Tech section, but what is not clear, is that the actual process is not a quick process, and resolution is only achived by starting at the begining, and ticking the all boxes as you go along.
I am no expert but i have gained wisdom by doing what i have posted above.

All the best Funky:bike::bike:

Last edited:
Back