1981 Only Rear Mag Drum Wheel Parts Available?

SlowMaintenance

'76 XS650 Chopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Heading up to see what the owner has called a 1980 XS650. Pictured below.

uuq2ERy.jpg

Was staring at it for a good long while because I couldn't understand what the rear brake setup was. After some research I guess in 1981 they made this mag rear drum but that was the only year. I was hoping you guys could inform me as to whether or not purchasing a bike with this one year only tire would be a headache. Typically when I see that a part was only made for one year I worry about finding replacement parts for it should anything go wrong, and also whether typical drum brake shoes will fit since it's a one off brake situation.

Can you guys weigh in on this? I've seen some others for sale with spoked wheels which I MUCH prefer, but if the price is right here then I'll jump on it.

Thanks!

It uses the same brake plate assembly as all the spoke wheels, as far as I know, so replacement parts shouldn't be a problem.

Good to know. At least I know I could run it and be able to find parts. That being said, if I do end up with this bike and anyone here likes mags, I would trade you front and rear. Can't stand mags.

Good to know. At least I know I could run it and be able to find parts. That being said, if I do end up with this bike and anyone here likes mags, I would trade you front and rear. Can't stand mags.

Hi SlowMaintenance,
I guess the bike in the photo is a 1981 model built in late 1980.
The rear disk 1980 was the one year wonder, 1981 to end of production had drum rear brakes.
Betcha change your mind about mags the first time you try and fix a tube tire flat by the side of the road and realize that if you had mags & tubeless a can of fix-a-flat would have got you home so much easier.
That said, any type of XS650 wire wheels will swap right onto your bike.
I swapped in a pair of 1976ish deep groove aluminum rim wire wheels on my Heritage Special a while back because Oh yes, they look gorgeous.
Swapped back when I got weary of keeping them clean.

Hey I have been looking for a rear drum mag for a couple days and looking to do some trading I have rear mag with disc and all the brake caliper and all let me know if someone is willing to do some trading

Posted via Mobile

Hi SlowMaintenance,

The rear disk 1980 was the one year wonder, 1981 to end of production had drum rear brakes.

78SE/79SF/80SG all come out with a 16" mag disk brake rear wheel

79SII/80G, (SII), had 16" 36 Spoke drum brake rear wheel

Back