XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Its free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 01-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
Dogger
XS650 Addict

Default TT pipes

Hello,
Just wondering if anyone here has run TT pipes. I have MikesXS 1 3/4" stainless pipes with taper tips on them. It's incredibly loud and I'm not that fond of how they look. I was thinking about dropping the mufflers and using baffles from JC Whitney that are inserted in the pipe. Would even like TT pipes better. Just want to be a little quieter. Any suggestions?
Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #2
big al
XS650 Member

Default Re: TT pipes

Make your own baffles it's going to be a lot better.I've put those baffles in pipes and wound up with bkies that sounded like s##t .If you make your own and don't like them you can just toss them and try a different design untill you get the sound you want.
big al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
eric123
XS650 Enthusiast

You may want to try the old washer(lolli pop/snuff-r-nots) trick. It may be just enough to take the edge off the noise...And its cheap

My apologies for not posting an intro...I figured no one cares and it would just clog up this board...If I am wrong, let me know...I use the same username at 650rider(RIP) and XS650garage FWIW...

Last edited by eric123; 01-23-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: I am a retard
eric123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
Dogger
XS650 Addict

Thanks,
I've heard of the snuffrnots before. Something about attaching a washer on a rod that goes through the pipe. Then you rotate it to get the desired sound?
I love the look of open pipes, and I've had problems with the mounting brackets on mufflers cracking (someone told me these bikes shake a little, haha), I just don't want quite so much noise.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
pumps
XS650 Junkie

Dogger- we had some discussion on the brackets breaking in this thread...a ways down. Maybe some info you can use?
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthrea...hlight=whitney

On an XS you won't pass yourself everyday.
Currently wrenching and riding on a 1977 D XS650- "Patience"
Patience project pics: http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/pumps32/XS650/xs%20repairs/
pumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 AM   #6
txpowdercoater
XS650 Addict

I made some washers for on of my evo's with 1/4-20 bolt and a washer welded to the head, then I could turn, tune and tighten.

Timothy
www.TxPowderCoating.com
832-818-3905
txpowdercoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
gordonscott
XS650exhaust.com

Hi Dogger, If you have the taper tip mufflers on there now and it's too loud then you won't be happy with any slide in baffles or home made fix. To quiet it up more then those taper tip mufflers you would need a muffler that you can't see strait thru. I have used strait thru glasspacks and they sound nice and deep but after a while of use they can get just as loud as a taper tip. Sorry not much help but if you want quiet, real mufflers are (almost) the only way. p.s. OK I said almost? Just for fun I will tell you the "almost" part Sound comming from two points at the same frequency if facing each other will cancel each other out. So if you had the pipes bent at a 90 so they faced each other it would get quieter. This works because it puts the sound 180deg out of phase. I was in the audio business for 15 yrs

It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt. Mark Twain
"Any fool can criticize,condem and complain and most fools do." Ben Franklin
gordonscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Dogger
XS650 Addict

Thanks, for the input. I think I have a new idea now. I would like to try a set of cocktail shaker mufflers. Any one know of a quality source? I figure this is going to be a hit and miss experiment till I find what I want! So far the taper tips aren't doing it for me. Plus they look way to much like something from a HD.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:25 PM   #9
gabes50
XS650 New Member

Does anyone know if there are true triumph style TT pipes avalable for the XS 650?
gabes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
grizld1
XS650 Guru

Hoos Racing has 1-3/4" pipe sets in plain steel or stainless in 3 patterns including TT pipes, for a very reasonable price: www.hoosracing.com . They'll work best with EPO and TPO inserts from 650 Central.
grizld1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
gabes50
XS650 New Member

griz thanks for info
gabes50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust