Thx 5 Twins.Minton Mod revisited!

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Finally Spring is here in Ontario,Canada and had my first ride on my 77D with the Minton Moded Front forks that i drilled out as per 5 twins recomendations and it works beautifully! I don,t even notice small bumps and cracks in the road any more.Big pot holes are the same but having added the rebound springs (not available in 77) have helped also,no more knock on rebound after a quik stop.
Just to recap what i did for others.I drilled out (enlarged the lower holes) to 1/4" and drilled the upper hole thru to the other side.I used 10 weight oil 6" from the top off the fork tubes.I also added 1" preload spacers to the top off the springs.(mine do not have the preload spring adjuster in 77) I am also using the fork springs off a 500 Yamaha that are 1/4 longer than stock and strait rate.I get no fork dive any more when brakes applied.Next project is some braided lines and a fork brace to complete the front end.The bikes rides really nice now front and rear.I have the progressive rear shocks and springs 75/120 and there nice for my 160 lbs riding weight.More mods to follow.

Posted via Mobile

Excellent. This pleases the 5t.
Probably the increase in fork oil stopped the fork dive. Its the first easy mod.

Yes, the extra fork oil lessens the fork dive when braking and the Minton Mods smooth the ride. Nice cheap, easy fork mods that really do help. I'm looking forward to trying the straight wound XS500 springs I acquired recently.

Hey 5twins,did u try the 500 spring yet,if so what were your observations.I have done a fair amount of riding and still really like the Minton Mods.I still get a bit off front fork shock pack-up on really rough sections of pavement were there are a fair number of equally positioned bumps.The shocks just cant respond or recover quick enough.Any thoughts on improving that or could that just be the type off bumps that will produce that outcome regardless of what i adjust,drill out ect.The results compared to what i had are really impressive though!!

Posted via Mobile

No, I haven't tried the 500 springs yet. They will be going in my spare fork set but I need to make some preload spacers, probably 1". Spring has sprung around here so the dreaded yard work has started, lol. I also have several other bikes to pull out of storage. Busy time of year.

I never tried any more drilling beyond what I've done. I suppose you could but it will all be an experiment. It may or may not improve things. Then, once you get to a certain point (too big on the holes), the damper rods will no longer work at all. You'd need to get new ones. I grab up junk rusty or bent forks just to get extra internal parts. Then I have spare parts to play with.

Good idea on the spare parts,dont really want to mess with my originals .Going to a Vintage bike show and Swap meet end off May, will be picking up used parts to try different set-ups.Good Luck with the Yard clean-up!

Posted via Mobile

Back