How do you hold the fork damper from turning

gmiller217

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am trying to take my forks apart so I can clean up and re-paint my lower fork legs and replace the seals on my 82 heritage special. I got the lower allen bolt to turn but the whole damper just spins is there a special tool or something that holds the damper so the bolt can be removed?

look under the "shops" section,xs fork lowering kit,Punkskalar has a how to in his lowering kit post,Shows how to make the tool you need

if you use a air gun they will usually spin out, if you don't have access to one you can make a tool out of some tubing ... first pic show what top of damper assembly should look like

Attachments

• img001.jpg
    img001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 207
  • img002.jpg
    img002.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 186
The method Jayel portrayed is for older forks, '76 and older I think. Your '82 forks are different. Starting in '78, the damper rods had what looked like a 12 pt. socket on top. It accepts a 17mm hex. Now, you could use a 17mm Allen socket to hold it if you could find one but the easiest "tool" to whip up is a bolt with a 17mm head and a nut welded to it. Use a socket on multiple extensions to reach down in and hold it .....

78-onForkTool.jpg

78ToolInserted.jpg

Thanks for all the help ... that was fast, and I have my forks apart. ... need to take them into work after vacation and clean them up and re-paint the lower legs :thumbsup:

I had a friend who does powder coating do a set for me in a black to match the stock black the forks were. They came out very nice.

I had a friend who does powder coating do a set for me in a black to match the stock black the forks were. They came out very nice.

I thought about having mine powder coated ... A friend of mine does that and will do it if I buy the powder. I was thinking of having him put them in the bake off oven and then polishing them up really well and using the black chrome powder

It may cost a bit more than painting them yourself. The powdercoat is much harder than paint, so it won't chip off from road trash as quick.

Just be sure it isn't where axles bolts seals etc. need to go back to, not much fun chiseling off powder coat from where it doesn't belong, (so I have heard)

Just be sure it isn't where axles bolts seals etc. need to go back to, not much fun chiseling off powder coat from where it doesn't belong, (so I have heard)

Good point, but the powder isn't that hard to remove, thats a common misconception of powdercoat. I've retapped holes, removed it from brackets, etc... Its a little more work than spray paint, about like the stock paint on the XS frames really. I would definitely block off the internal opening and seal area, and the axle mount....

good point about powdercoat being harder and more chip resistant than paint ... and powderbuythepound.com sells silicone plugs and caps in all different sizes to keep the powder out of the areas you don't want coated :thumbsup:

Back