recommendations for tires

exess650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
looking to replace rear tire on 1983 Heritage Special. The front tire is a Michelin Tarmac with lots of tread left on it. Not that concerned about matching up front and rear and I don't plan on doing anything extreme with the bike. Just general riding around city, to/from work etc. Thinking of getting a Bridgestone Spitfire. Any recommendations or preferences?

I love the Metzler Marathon 130-90-16. Go for around $118.00, but I really like them. They ride nice and handle great. I have front and rear, they are worth it. I never cheap out on tires. They're the only things holding you to the road.
They are tubeless, so make sure your wheels are "suitable for tubeless".

Thinking of getting a Bridgestone Spitfire. Any recommendations or preferences?

I got those for my '81, basically the same bike as yours. The bike had them on it when I got the bike also. I put 10,000 miles on those and who knows how many the po put on them - they were around 10 years old (but still looked good, no cracking). And they're pretty inexpensive.

Update: I've learned that you're spoked. I'm tubeless on stock '81 rims.

Last edited:
I have been using Dunlop 404's for years with no problem's. Got a pair for under $100. They handle good, even in the rain. And wear like iron.

If you have mag wheels, some are tubless and say so on one spoke. If it doesn't then you need a tube. Most tires can be run with or with out a tube.

I was working in a tire store & got them wholesale. But the price's on them are real reasonable, try tire rack, or even JC Whitney.

I'm using spitfires, and am very happy with them, and they are affordable. Especially good for the type of riding you describe.

DLD1

I'm using spitfires, and am very happy with them, and they are affordable. Especially good for the type of riding you describe. DLD1

I just put new tires on my bike. An 82 Heritage with spoke rims. Bridgestone Spitfire S11, 130-90-16 rear, 100-90-19 front, and tubes.
I paid to have them mounted and balanced. It was worth it to me.

How old is your front tire? If it's very old it can look good but can fail with out warning. If you look on the sidewall at the DOT number the last few digits in an oval area tell the week and year of manufacturer. If the number is like 3704 means the 37th week of 2004. The tire makers don't reccomend running a tire over 6 years old. I have some tires that came on the 81 that look almost brand new. No cracking still have some of the mold nubs on them. They make the front end wobble fiercly They were made in 05. I have a new set of Pirelli Route MT66 tires for it. They'll go on when it gets warm enough so I can get the tire changer dug out of the snow and mount them.

I mounted and balanced my spitfires myself. A couple of decent tire irons and some soap, no problem. I set up an axle on a stand and let the heavy side go to the bottom, add weight, try again, keep doing that until I have minimum weight, and it will stay wherever I put it. I've had it up around 100mph with no problems. My tires have tubes as well, even though they're on mag wheels.

DLD1

I just put new tires on my bike. An 82 Heritage with spoke rims. Bridgestone Spitfire S11, 130-90-16 rear, 100-90-19 front, and tubes.
I paid to have them mounted and balanced. It was worth it to me.

Why you dont start this thread before or my self, I just buy a pair of Shinko tires 120/90/18 and 100/90/19 what do you think guys about this tires? I have to buy the tubes too because my rins had spokes. Any recomendation?

Here is a place i buy from and the prices are great and i get tires same week. They are in OHIO and PENN. All my bikes have there tires OLD SCHOOL rib WHITE WALLS EVERYTHING
http://www.tiresunlimited.com/default.htm

Giving away my stash places HAHA

Attachments

• frt tire sm.JPG
    frt tire sm.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 147
  • rear tiresm.JPG
    rear tiresm.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 129
I heard that the Shinkos are decent tires for the price, though I think they're not available in the Estados Unidos like they once were.
I'm running Dunlop 404's now.

I buy it in ebay, I was thinking in Dunlop as well, but I just have the amount for the Shinko...

Back