XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 02-12-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
dklassen
XS650 Member

Default Cleaning the motor

Guys,

Is there a good way or I should say product(s) to clean a motor without tearing it down? The side covers will be buffed out but I'm more interested in the best way to clean the case, head, fins, etc. The motor is on a stand.

D.
dklassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
gantzcb
XS650 Enthusiast

Default Re: Cleaning the motor

Any of the engine cleaners in the can work. the cheaper ones are just dyed diesel fuel. My side covers were so bad I sanded them 600 out to 1200 then buffed.

Clyde
Don't just stand there, do something, even if it is wrong!
gantzcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:14 AM   #3
73novaguy
XS650 Enthusiast

Anyone tried soda blasting? And what results? Ive got a handheld blaster that Id like to use, but don't want to rough up the cases anymore than I have to. Just looking for a new aluminum shine, not polished.
73novaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #4
dklassen
XS650 Member

Funny you should bring that up, I was just sitting here surfing soda blasting info. Don't know much about it yet but it seems like it may be perfect for cleaning an assembled motor. It bet it would work great on the cylinder fins and the case. No worries about damaging the internals I suspect if you used reasonable care.

Found this.

http://www.rapiddog.net/BLOG/GSWHEELS.html
dklassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #5
73novaguy
XS650 Enthusiast

Nice link, I think I will give that soda blast a try. Just plug off my vent and intake and exhaust ports and let it rip. Oh and if you try it, make sure you either have the starter in or a block off plate installed. you don't want it full up in there! LOL I am getting mine tore apart after anyways, but wanna do it now while it still together.
73novaguy is offline   Reply With Quote