Good 60-80 gallon compressors?

Thet

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a decent 60/80 gallon compressor? Looking for $600 and under. Must be able to use HVLP spray guns and other air hog pneumatic tools (so around 12 CFPM)

If you have a TSC store, they sell Ingersoll-Rand, and often have one or two on sale, but 12 CFM unlikely for $600. Before upgrading, I used one of the 60 gal "5 HP" hardware store types-Campbell Hausfeld. I used it for years and got a lot of mileage out of it.

John

I've been looking at getting a new compressor myself for a while. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these brands: Ingersoll Rand, Quincy, Speedaire, Rolair, Eaton. You're going to have to buy used though to stay within your budget. Which isn't a big deal if you find one that wasn't used all day everyday. I've read that some of the older compressors are actually better than the newer ones. Check craigslist in your area.

My Friend manages the local ACE harware store. I was looking at a new Campbeel-Hausfeld comressor, 60 gallon. She told Mr they have had a 100% return rate on those compressors, due to bad motors. 110V. My search resumes.

I am building my own. I have a 40 gallon certified receiver and aFive horse power gas engine. I have a regulator, pop valve, and a de-compressr release valve. I will purchase the pump from HF. Tony C

If you are building your own, 100.lb propane bottles are pretty cheap and easy to convert.

tonyc would this be your 40 gallon certified receiver?

You wont find anything for 600 that's going to keep up with a spray gun. Maybe small stuff. A good compressor lasts a life time. Don't short change yourself and "settle" for something cuz of price you will be disappointed.

Posted via Mobile

Well, I picked up a decent Campbell Hausfeld last night for $200. 11.4 CFM @ 40 PSI and 9.0 CFM @ 90 PSI.
That will run a high end spray gun setup.
I would have loved to have gotten a better one, but it's just not in the cards right now. Probably in the future, but not right now...

Well there you go.. Sounds like a good deal. Even if it only lasts a little while it was only $200. And if it's still working well when you decide to upgrade, you can sell it and get your money back.

9 cfm at 90? That is gonna fall on its face with a spray gun, da, and or grinder. Hope you don't plan on clearing anything of decent size. Do youself a favor and invest in some ear plugs.

Posted via Mobile

I dunno what gun you're using, but I've never seen a HVLP gun require 90 PSI. They USUALLY require about 35-40. And even then, the high end guns only consume about 4-5 CFM.

There's the Quincy 325, then there's everything else...

I doubt anyone here would spring for a new one, but it really is the absolute best compressor you can buy, anywhere, anytime.

Good runner-up would be a Champion, DV Systems (DeVair, OLD, CAST-IRON Devilbiss), IR Type 30, Kellogg, Curtis Masterline, Gardner Denver, or any TRUE 5hp industrial quality unit. NONE of these will be cheap new, but with the economy the way it is, you might find something going fairly cheap from a shop closing down somewhere. You would have to spring for a decent single phase motor, and have the electrical service and a mag starter to run one, but any of these units would be heirloom items to pass on to your grandkids.

For the most part, the older units are MUCH better than anything you will get at the hardware store. If you could find a nice Emglo cast-iron twin on a 30-60 gallon tank, you would have yourself something really nice.

BTW, if you run it with a gas motor, you will have to de-rate the pump by 50%, or buy a pump that puts out half the cfm (i.e. a 2.5hp pump with a 5hp gas motor) since an electric motor has much more torque at low rpm than a gas engine.

Well, there's a compressor at work (I do believe it's a late 80s, early 90s 120+gallon) that will just be removed and scrapped. Shame I'm military and can't take that home. :(

I only run sata. With this machine...7.5 horse 80 gallon 24 cfm @ 90. Basecoat requires 15.2 cfm@ 29 psi. Good luck.

Posted via Mobile

Attachments

• 2009-11-25 06.49.14.jpg
    2009-11-25 06.49.14.jpg
    297.7 KB · Views: 180
I only run sata. With this machine...7.5 horse 80 gallon 24 cfm @ 90. Basecoat requires 15.2 cfm@ 29 psi. Good luck.

Posted via Mobile

How in the hell does a SATA require that much??? That's ridiculous.
The gun I'm looking at now requires about 7.2 CFM. Albeit, it is a $400 gun...

nearly every home center and most hardware stores have a variety of 220V Cord ends in several amperages.

Back