Rebuilding my engine, tight trans question.

NoValidTitle

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm back on track for building up my chop. The engine has been dry for some time now. I put the cases back together and I'm about ready to put the pistons on and slide the jugs on. But before I get that far I have a question. If it's dry is it normal for the trans to not want to shift?

Does it not shift because the lever is hard to move, and the shift dogs won't slide? Or can you move the lever easily, but it won't click into gear? The transmission needs to be spinning to move it through the entire gear range.

Does it not shift because the lever is hard to move, and the shift dogs won't slide? Or can you move the lever easily, but it won't click into gear? The transmission needs to be spinning to move it through the entire gear range.

Too hard to move the lever and the dogs won't slide. I'm just not sure if it's as simple as once it's wet/rolling it will shift.

The dogs should slide freely. You should be able to twist the shift mechanism (looks like a starfish on the end of the shift drum) by hand before cases are put together. It may be that you have the transmission put together in a weird way, where the shift dogs aren't riding in the appropriate places, and won't allow the transmission to shift. Did you disassemble the cases completely, including taking apart the shift drum? If so, two of the shift dogs look similar. Not sure if it is possible to put it back together incorrectly...

The dogs should slide freely. You should be able to twist the shift mechanism (looks like a starfish on the end of the shift drum) by hand before cases are put together. It may be that you have the transmission put together in a weird way, where the shift dogs aren't riding in the appropriate places, and won't allow the transmission to shift. Did you disassemble the cases completely, including taking apart the shift drum? If so, two of the shift dogs look similar. Not sure if it is possible to put it back together incorrectly...

Yeah that's what I was trying to do, spin the star to shift it. I tried sliding the shift lever on also to try with some leverage and no dice. When I split the cases I didn't disassemble the shift dogs. This doesn't sound good for my motor. :banghead:

A couple of things may be holding you up. I assume you removed the neutral detent setup from the top case? It is a spring loaded group of parts that drops into a divot in the shift drum when the drum is in the neutral position.

Try removing the neutral detent, and removing spring loaded assembly that mates with the shift star. Removing both should make it very easy to turn the shift drum by spinning the shift star. Turn the chain sprocket slowly, and try to turn the shift star. If it is still tight, there is a problem.

Yeah something must have been hung up in the shift assembly. I pulled it all out and was able to get it spinning easily. I put it all back together and it's still good. Thanks!

Back