1977 XS650 Bobber Build

bsdoig

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wanted to try and document some of my first build. Been browsing the forum for about two months now and have learned a ton. Picked up this beauty in February. Non running for 100 bucks. The first project is the motor. Just finished up the paint, powdercoat, and polishing. All the work other than the carbs were done by myself and a buddy. Carburetors we rebuilt by Rick at OLDSKOOLCARBS, who did a awesome job. Waiting on a few more parts and it'll be ready to completely go back together. Then on to the frame........

First day home

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pic's of the motor almost complete

<<<UPDATE 7/11/11>>>

This has been a slow process but ide like to keep this thread updated. Gotten several things done in the past few months....

-TCbros Hardtail
-TCbros neck gussets
-Hughs Handbuilt Shaved Front Forks (lowered 1")
-Wheels powdercoated and SS Mikexs Spokes
-Firestone Rear Tire/Avon Front

Still a longs ways off but nice to post some actual progress....Next up is seat, battery/electrical boxes and rear fender!

Finished Pics.....

Last edited:
Oh my god! That is gorgeous! What kind of paint is that? Powder-coated? Nice job

The paint used on the bottom end, jugs, and heads is VHT High Temp Barrel Paint. The side covers and misc. parts were powdercoated 100% Gloss Black. And more hours than I care to remember sanding and polishing the fins!:banghead:

really good looken motor man!!yours looks a little better than mine

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 411
Never really digged the black motors, but this has me second guessing my own taste. Great job and a great example of how time and patience can pay off in the end. Can't wait to see how the whole bike turns out!

Thanks for all the complements guys! Feels good that others can appreciate the amount of detail I put in. I'll keep everyone posted on the build progress:thumbsup:

Back