rear wheel bearing removal - 1981 xs650

As people find out how hard those parts are to source you will start seeing them seperated from the wheels and sold seperatly on e-bay. So if you are buying wheels ask just what you are getting.
Ironhead you might get google out and start calling established Yamaha shops. With alittle luck you will find someone that looks at their shelves instead of just looking at the computer(which will say the parts are obsolete).
Another member was looking for one or the diamensions to make one I posted the measurements but I don't think he ever came back.
http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7236

Here are the part #'s and names. The way the parts are reference numbered is different than the schematic 5twins posted but the parts are the same so.....

Attachments

• parts list.jpg
    parts list.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 238
Yeah, thats what I'm starting to find out.Heck I just might go pick up this '79 I found in a junk yard that has the same mags as mine to get the parts, just might be easier in the long run. I've looked on E-bay and Mikes, but to no avail.

I did my rear bearings today using All Balls bearings stamped KML. This was a helpful thread.

I have a sequence for reassembly using minimal tools.

Put the small bearing in the freezer. Coat where the small bearing will seat with grease. Tap the small bearing in using a hammer and the broad side of a small board. Keep it level. Take the old small bearing and finish tapping it into the recess. Flip the old bearing back out with a screw driver. Coat where the seal will seat with grease. Tap the seal in, keeping it level. Finish by using the old small bearing again.

Insert the axel. Put the #7 spacer with #8 flange on the axle and let it slide down into the hub. The cupped side of the flange should face to the outside and the flange should fit in a recess against the small bearing.

Put the large bearing in the sun and the #20 top hat spacer in the freezer. Tap the top hat into the bearing, keeping it level. Put bearing and top hat assembly in freezer. Slide assembly down over axle with brim of top hat to the inside. Use old large bearing to tap it home, keeping it level. On both large and small old bearings, tap only on the outer rim to drive new bearing home.

Remove large old bearing the best way you can :) I grabbed it near the center with a vice grip and used a claw hammer to pull on the vice grip like a nail to get it out.

Grease where large seal will seat. Start new large seal in. Finish by tapping old large bearing in as before and removing as before.

When you hit the top hat to disassemble as described on the previous page, use a socket not a punch. It is very soft steel and a punch will deform the edge and you'll have to dress the edge with a round file to allow the axle to go through. Ask me how I know. I switched to a socket instead just in the nick of time.

My own explanation of the reason for #8 is just to keep #7 from falling down into the hub before full end butt pressure is applied. In the drawing 8 looks like it's in the middle of 7, but it's really on the end on the brake side, with the cup facing outward.

Great thread guys...very helpful!

I only have one question question --> What holds the inner bearing spacer from falling into the hub? I THINK I understand how everything is assembled, but what keeps #7 from drooping into the hub of the wheel on the tophat side (when the axle is removed after assembly)? Common sense would say it is pinched together with the pressure of the pressed in bearings, but just want to double check.

Also, has anyone come across a good thread for the front wheel bearings? I have a similar spacer for the front (to #7), but there are two retaining clips (at least that is what they look like) which I am not sure what to do with.

I had my powder coater dissassemble the rims, thus I am not too sure on the reassembly process.

Well i will tell you how your powder coater did it. OVEN!! They fall right out. I tried one in my wifes oven and it worked but did wrap it in foil so she would not know i did it. If i am getting them powder coated i just ask him to give me what falls out and every time both fell out.Heat does it all the time.

Well i will tell you how your powder coater did it. OVEN!! They fall right out. I tried one in my wifes oven and it worked but did wrap it in foil so she would not know i did it. If i am getting them powder coated i just ask him to give me what falls out and every time both fell out.Heat does it all the time.

I actually think the powder coater took it to a local bike shop to have the bearings pressed out. Lucky for me, the shop kept all the spacers...which I have found is next to impossible to find seperately.

I mucked about with this without having read the wisdom in this thread :( First I assembled it all and offered it up to the bike only to fail in getting the axle through due to the top hat mushrooming as a result of my removal technique as xjwmx warns! Then I had that fixed up and put the bearings back in and for some reason this time the wheel didn't want to fit into the swing arm! Took me an hour to finally squeeze it in for some reason and I even pulled the seals back off to give the bearings another tap to make sure they were seated but it was still very difficult to get the wheel in.

Is there any chance something is incorrect here?

Back