Media Blasting done, what now?

poorman9

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've finished glass beading and sand blasting all/most of my parts. Everything on this bike came painted rattle can black, the paint was chipping and overall looked really terrible. I after several days of pain and discomfort I built my own sand blasting setup and got all the parts cleaned up. I used a #8 Medium glass bead on all the engine parts, and other small pieces.

Now I'm wondering what I should do next, I kind of like this glass blasted look on the crank cases, but I have a feeling it wouldn't stand up very well if I left it that way. Anybody have experience polishing parts like these? Does that help fight against rust? I live in Oregon, it rains, a lot!

before-and-after.jpg

As for the bigger parts, like my swingarm, forks and wheels, I've sand blasted them with a basic cheap sand, they didn't end up pitted or with much of a rough texture, which is great. I think I'll be painting them, I can't really fit powder coating into my budget. Any suggestions on paint? I've heard this Appliance Enamel works well, but I have a hard time ordering something made for painting refrigerators. I'd also like something with more color selection so at least I can consider other options than black.

IMG_0867.jpg

By the way, if you're thinking about building a cabinet out of a couple storage tubs and 2 rolls of duct tape, i would suggest you reconsider. Only an idiot would do that :D

2011-03-24_10-48-11_106.jpg

Have a can of WD-40 handy and wash the parts in slightly soapy warm to hot water to get the embeded sand and grease/oils out of your parts. It'l help with the painting too. WD-40 is for the cylinder walls to prevent rust. Sandblasting by Braille? That's new!

That looks painful on your back! Is there a viewing window?

Yeah it really was a terrible setup. I think that picture was taken before the plastic went completely opaque, after that we cut out a hole and found an old piece of glass from a picture frame and taped that in.

I pictured the gloves you duct-taped to the cabinet as disposable latex gloves and laughed out loud.

Lol, not quite latex, we bought these $7 gloves from Harbor freight, which fell apart instantly.

I sand blasted a lot of stuff years ago in an only slightly fancier home made blast cabinet.

lots of sanding to follow if you want hi shine parts. I just did the same to some parts for another project and rubbed everything down pretty good with red scotchbrite pad. It's a real dull polish finish.

You should duct tape a maglite on the inside of your blasting cabinet...hey what ever works huh, you got the shit blasted:thumbsup:

Back