My '81 build...again.

littlebill31

Smells of Raw Fuel
Reaction score
So I got my '81 in Nov. The PO cut the tail off and tried to make a bobber...thing. I cleaned it up and totally rebuilt most everything, other than the lower end. New top end, carbs, frame painted, wiring, all switches, bars, brakes and components, tires, front end rebuilt, chain, 10.5 shocks, and the list goes on. Been riding it to work everyday weather permitting. Love it. Then I got a hair up my ass and chopped it. I have a TC Bros hardtail, TC Bros forward controls, Sportster gas tank, Sinister seat seat pan with clothes pin style springs, XS front fender for the front and for the rear. Debating the color though.
So it went from stock to this:
user3210_pic1997_1293553595.jpg

and as of today:
ht1.jpg
ht2.jpg
ht3.jpg
Had my friends at Loaded Gun Customs ( http://www.loadedguncustoms.com/) weld the tail on for me. If I did it, it would break. I am sure of that.

Some updates. Going slower than I want. Parts delays and work.

Attachments

• LGC Show 011.jpg
    LGC Show 011.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 170
  • LGC Show 012.jpg
    LGC Show 012.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 160
  • LGC Show 009.jpg
    LGC Show 009.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 157
  • LGC Show 008.jpg
    LGC Show 008.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 122
Hey Littlebill, how loud are those pipes and did you have to rejet your carbs. Did all 81's come with 34's for carbs. Mine is an 81 and has 34's heard they run lean, but after cleaning mine they seem to be rich. I ahve yet to adjust vavles so that may be part of it not sure, dont know much about engines yet, but am learnin quick. I like the bratstyle it was, but bobbers are sweet too. I am going bratstyle myself though. Cool ride cant wait to see finished result.

They are pretty damn loud. I have pods also and yes I had to re-jet. I'm at sea level so I run 145 mains, 45 pilots, and 3 turns out on non-EPA mix screws. I made some quick collars so I can put on a pair of Harley sportster pipes in about 2 minutes (to quiet them) and don't need to re-jet, just turn my mix screw in 1 full turn.
1980 and up have 34's

Hey LILBILL
I had a guy contact me on a build and i just have too much work for what he wanted so i turned him on to your buddys LoadedGun and he called me back and said they can't help him . Can you send me a number for them at RGrant51@aol.com i seen there work and i got three guys in DEL/Maryland area contacting me and i need a good shop to pass these guys too until i can get caught up.

Finally got it all mocked up. I've been riding it, but it's nice to have a rear fender and all the parts on it. I stripped it and primed it all today. It's about 95 degrees with 90% humidity, so the paint is gonna wait a bit.

newht5.jpg

Littlebill, Are those stock headers? Any issue with the forward controls and the exhaust?

Pics of the tail completed, fender mounted, and tail light mounted.

Attachments

• newht7.jpg
    newht7.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 111
  • newht8.jpg
    newht8.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 139
It's a stock front fender. Brackets are cut off and the fender is reversed. So the tail light is mounted on what used to be the "nose" of the front fender. Then I drilled and tapped the hardtail and bolted it on.

Back