Starter Delete - Gear Removal Question

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Under the clutch there is a stack of gears I believe I can yank if I'm not going to run a starter. Two questions:

1. Can I eliminate the entire stack of gears in the attached pic?
  2. Should I remove the post in the other pic, as well? (this is the post they were sitting on, the one held in place by a philips head screw)

(I'm trying not to split the cases)

Thanks!
Adam

Attachments

• gears.jpg
    gears.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • Post.jpg
    Post.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 1,369
Yes, you can remove the stack, I'm not sure about the post. What you don't want to remove is that little gear on the lower left retained by the plate and Phillips screw. That needs to stay. That's the shaft that runs over to the gear cluster under the countershaft sprocket. The only way to properly remove that is to split the cases.

Yes, you can remove the stack, I'm not sure about the post. What you don't want to remove is that little gear on the lower left retained by the plate and Phillips screw. That needs to stay. That's the shaft that runs over to the gear cluster under the countershaft sprocket. The only way to properly remove that is to split the cases.

Gotchya, exactly what I expected. Thanks!

Great questions, for weight savings and that I want to run kick only, what else besides the motor/wiring can be removed?

+1 i want to start with kick only the bike was missing the starter when i picked it up so i ordered the block off plates from mikes XS. what all needs to be removed for it to be just kick and not have stuff flopping around in the motor and such...?

Hey guys, there's some pics in the first post of this thread that answer your question.

Also: the drive gear that the starter slides into. If you are installing MikesXS block off plate, you will see these gears.

That doesn't make sense. If we install the block off plate we will see the gears. What do you mean.

I asked an additional question beyond the scope of your inquiry.

Thanks for your input though! :)

i think that he means when we go to install the plates we will see what gears need to be removed. the gears in the pics he posted... right>?

The starter inserts into the lower left side of the motor from underneath. It sticks into a little compartment just below the countershaft sprocket and shift shaft. You'll need to remove the cover over that area to install the block-off plug and while in there, you'll remove the double gear and it's little shaft on the left (they just pull out) .....

StarterGears2.jpg

You'll be left with an empty housing something like this except your block-off plug will be installed where the starter used to be .....

StarterGearsRemoved.jpg

You don't need to remove the #4 gear assembly under the right side cover like OakBehringer did but since you need to be in the area on the left to install the block-off plug, you might as well take that gear out. It will serve no purpose once the starter is removed.

You don't need to remove the #4 gear assembly under the right side cover like OakBehringer did but since you need to be in the area on the left to install the block-off plug, you might as well take that gear out. It will serve no purpose once the starter is removed.

THANKS!!!!!!

Is the #4 gear assembly in the pics above?

It's in the pics in the 1st post. You need to remove the clutch assembly to get it off so unless you're under that right side engine cover doing some clutch work, I think I'd just leave it in there.

Haha. I've never been able to hang onto a bike that long. Although, my new years resolution was "focus on your four bikes/projects, don't buy anything new for at least two years."
hello, my name is___________, and Im a junk collector.

good luck on that resolution!!

i hope my damn block off plates come in soon so i can see if i can get this wiring and everything set so i can see if this bad boy will run!

Back