Electric Starter Removal Writeup?

There is a description in the Haynes Manual.................manuals are a must for these bikes.

Simple to remove............only 4 bolts............must drain the oil first.

Attachments

• IMG_5697 mod1.JPG
    IMG_5697 mod1.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 4,059
Sorry I should have been more specific. I want to permanently remove the starter for kick only. I found a couple threads discussing certain gears that can be removed and use of a freeze plug in place of the Mikes block off kit.

I might as well ask my questions while Im at it!

Does the right side cover have to come off or can I just remove the starter and plug the hole?

Do the transfer gears need to be removed?

I am afraid of removing anything that might require a new gasket due to the recent unreliability of MikesXS. This is prime riding season and I would go crazy having a dead bike for a couple weeks.

Buy the starter block off plate part #24-6520 and the gear train cover gasket part #18-0859 from mikes. Leave the gear train on the motor.

Voila.

I hadn't heard the freeze plug method; it would appear the mikes block off would be better at preventing oil leaks, but meh, IDK.

I too prefer kick only and the pulling the starter shaves like 2-3 lbs. off the bike along with unused wiring.

Haha I want it gone in the name of weight savings. Plus the gears are stripped anyway so I could spend 40+ bucks repairing it or just take the sodding thing out.

There are a couple parts you have to leave inside the engine unless you want tosplit the cases. Under the starter gear cover under the front sprocket you can remove those gears. On the right behind the clutch you can remove the bendix gears. There is a small gear that holds the cross shaft in place, you want that inplace. The cross shaft and a gear inside will stay.

You can remove parts 15-22 from under the little cover (#23) on the left side and parts 1-9 from under the right side engine cover. Parts 10-14 must stay unless you split the crankcase .....

StarterGears.jpg

None of these parts absolutely have to be removed but if you're looking for the most you can remove, this is it.

Thanks for this thread, got a bit pussled when I removed the electric starter. But why do I need the gear train cover gasket part from Mikes xs if I'm removing the starter?

About how much weight if removing all those parts would that save?

I'm all for light as possible and I too am going kick only/batteryless.

Sheesh....didn't realize it was that heavy. So all in all about 10 lbs or so of savings?

Man between losing the fenders, battery, a bunch of electrical crap, smaller headlight, smaller tank, visual impact brat kit, etc, I'm gonna be saving a crap ton of weight. (Sorry to drift this off topic a bit)

Thanks for this thread, got a bit pussled when I removed the electric starter. But why do I need the gear train cover gasket part from Mikes xs if I'm removing the starter?

You need the gasket cause you have to have to remove the cover to get the gears out and I think to get the mikes plug installed. Also the freeze plug is like $1 or free if your at the right auto parts store. I followed someones direction and put grey rtv around the lip of the freeze plug when I installed mine. The old gasket will most likely get damaged when you removed the cover. Get some gasket remover and steel wool. I think perma bond makes the gasket remove. It's wont cost any more if you opt for the freeze plug instead of the mikes plug.

The starter motor weighs around 6 lbs and the gears are about 1 lbs. That equals a keg of beer and some burgers..

You guys are awesome with all your cool knowledge. Thanks for making this an easy project. After this its time to rewire whole bike. [Minus starter circuit!!, Hehe]

You can remove parts 15-22 from under the little cover (#23) on the left side and parts 1-9 from under the right side engine cover. Parts 10-14 must stay unless you split the crankcase .....

StarterGears.jpg

None of these parts absolutely have to be removed but if you're looking for the most you can remove, this is it.

Do does this mean that you can simply remove the starter and just plug the whole without having to remove any other gears? No having to take the cover plate, if you dont have a spear gasket? I am curious becuase I have heard that some other bikes you have to remove the gears or when you try to kick start it the gear will fall and can cause major issued by binding and cracking the LH case cover. A friends KZ400 this happened too!

Back