XS650.com
Forum Search: Advanced

Go Back   XS650 Forum > General Discussion > The Garage
Register Forum FAQ XS650 Tech Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Donate

Welcome to XS650.com!
XS650.com is dedicated to the Yamaha XS650 twin motorcycles and to the people who love to ride, restore, and customize them. As a guest you can view the forum and photo galleries full of xs650 choppers, bobbers, trackers, cafe racers, and restorations, but you have to register before you can post or view attachments. Itís free and only takes a minute. Proceed to registration. (This notice will go away once you log in)

The Garage Motorcycle Related Discussion (Yamaha XS650, other makes and models, and anything else motorcycle related including tools and gear)

Old 05-22-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
YL76
XS650 Junkie

Default Gasket for Fuel Petcock Drain Plug Bolt (for XS650C)

I ordered two Petcock Rebuild Kits (20-0014) from Mikesxs. I have the original fuel petcocks on my 76' XS650C and I decided to replace the gaskets, etc. on my petcocks instead of buying new ones for around $44 each. My petcocks have 3 screws on the backside.

All is going well, but I'm a little concerned about the diameter of the new red drain plug bolt gaskets that are included in the kit. They seem rather large for the bolt. I do have an inquiry sent to Mikesxs and I'm confident they will advise me on this.

I thought I might just try a run of the mill rubber gasket, but suspect that these rigid red gaskets are constructed of materials that are resistant to degradation from petroleum hydrocarbons such as gasoline.

I've looked at other websites (bikebandit, motogrid Yamaha, etc.) to find an OEM repalcement gasket, but nobody seems to have one available for Part Number 801-24437-00-00.

Comments, Anyone? THANKS!!

Here are some images:

1 - New gasket installed under drain plug bolt (hanging over).
2 - New gasket and petcock drain plug bolt
3 - Fuel Petcock (R) for XX650C.
4 - Old worn out gasket on drain plug bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN6877.JPG   Bolt with new Gasket.jpg   Fuel Petcock.jpg   Drain Plug 2.jpg  

1976 XS650C X 2
1982 XS650SJ Heritage Special
YL76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
XSLeo
XS650 Guru

Default Re: Gasket for Fuel Petcock Drain Plug Bolt (for XS650C)

Are the gaskets for the fuel barbs the same size? If not try swapping them.
Leo

The only way you can find out if you can do something is to try.
75 XS650B with a few mods, Dual disc brakes up front, Disc on rear, Pamcopete Ignition with the green coil, Radio Shack rectifier and Chrysler regulator, LED tail/brake and turnsignals. 750 kit,1.5 headepipes, Emgo shorty mufflers.
XSLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM   #3
Grinder
XS650 Junkie

Found the same thing on my 77. Ended up just re-using the old ones. Don't they actually try these parts on the petcocks before they sell this stuff?
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
5twins
XS650 Guru

I've heard you can boil those red bakelite washers and they'll swell back up so you can re-use them. Never tried it myself but it's worth a shot. I wouldn't use the ones in the kit.

'78E Standard and 4 Euro twins
5twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 05:57 AM   #5
YL76
XS650 Junkie

To follow-up on this, Mikesxs mailed me the correct red bakelite gaskets for the drain plug screws for my petcocks.

Apparently, their description of the Petcock Rebuild Kit (#20-0014) misidentified the gasket in the kit as the Drain Screw Gasket instead of the Fuel Barb (dare I say it...Nipple) Gasket that it actually is.

They sent a letter indicating that they will have their suppliers ensure that one (1) drain screw gasket is actually included in the kit from now on.

I've not seen any revision to their website image and description for this Kit yet...

Oh, On a related matter, I have a pair of Viton Rubber gloves (probably 24 mil). I used a Cork Borer Set to cut out some Viton gaskets for the drain screw (while I waited on Mikesxs).

They look pretty good, though I haven't tried them yet.

Does anyone have any experience using Viton Rubber gaskets on XS650 Fuel systems?

I've read that Viton Rubber has good resistance to materials like gasoline.
Attached Thumbnails
20-0014.jpg  

1976 XS650C X 2
1982 XS650SJ Heritage Special
YL76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
bluebikerblan
Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twins View Post
I've heard you can boil those red bakelite washers and they'll swell back up so you can re-use them. Never tried it myself but it's worth a shot. I wouldn't use the ones in the kit.
Neither would I 5twins....Use the old ones that fit as is

"Bakelite" is a cured thermosetting phenolic resin 5twins boiling it will do little if anything to help it's ductility. I think you may be thinking of "Nylon"....(polyamide thermoplastics) whose ductility is reinvigorated by hyrolyzing.....boiling water bath helps with a lot of "Nylon" parts which have become brittle with age. Zip ties eg...."fresh again" Blue

Last edited by bluebikerblan; 11-08-2011 at 11:29 AM.
bluebikerblan is offline   Reply With Quote