rust

1. Jim

Heavy Metal. Rust Removal and plating

In our case, steel. And let's face it, these bikes are old... that's part of their charm. But with that age comes rust. Yes... the dreaded "R" word. :rolleyes: What's the best way to deal with rust? I have my methods and opinions. But then, you know what they say... the three most abundant...
  2. Grimmith

GAS TANK RUST REMOVAL

I can now remove as much rust as possible through Electrolysis, which is using water and electricity. It's a 1-3 day process depending on how well you want it done. It can take up to 5 days, really depending on how bad it is inside. I can only do one tank at a time for now, until I'm able to get...
  3. Grimmith

For Sale - RUST REMOVAL for Motorcycle Gas Tanks

I can now remove as much rust as possible through Electrolysis, which is using water and electricity. It's a 1-3 day process depending on how well you want it done. It can take up to 5 days, really depending on how bad it is inside. I can only do one tank at a time for now, until I'm able to get...
  4. eyewinder

Opinions please - are these fork tubes trash?

Been working on a fork overhaul and it turns out my stanchion tubes are in worse condition than expected. I suspect it's not worth cleaning and filling the corroded areas, but would like some other opinions. Pictured are the worst sections from each tube. Some loose material was removed from...
  5. CantGetRight

Gas tank liner removal with acetone

Sorry to ask the noob question, but I haven't seen this addressed yet. Have a pretty nasty tank, was lined with kreemr pretty sloppily and rust. Before I add acetone and some screws, my question is if the acetone or screws will damage my petcocks.
  6. N

Problem? after wet blasting

Dear XS650 enthousiasts, I've recently wet blasted all engine parts with great result. However, I've recently moved and stored all the parts away since I don't have time right now to continue my project. I sometimes go check on my "baby" and make a discovery that scared me! I've found what...
  7. Jawknee21

Why is my new gas tank already rusty?

Got a brand new tank and it's rusty in less than 2 weeks. No I didnt use any kind of coating but i figured that my bike is 30 years old and the original tank wasn't coated on the inside so I should have 30 years on my new tank. I dont expect it to not rust but What happened? Is that normal...
  8. Backroader

Rust in The Tank

Aside from using KREM, what other methods will get rid of rust in a tank, short of buying another Tank. ? Is there a cheaper, easier quick fix out there ?
  9. F

Rust removal from inside gas tank

Does anyone know how to get the rust out of the inside of a gas tank? It's not too rusty but there is some loose stuff. Has anyone tried Kreem or POR15?
Back