exhaust

1. X

Bigger Mufflers

Hey fellas, I just finished retro fitting some short screamin eagle mufflers for a Harley to my xs. It’s just the tailpipe and the header pipe is still stock standard apart from chopping about 70mm off the last internal portion of the header. But the ID is still the same. I’m curious as to...
  2. M

For Sale - '70 XS650 Stock Fenders, Exhaust, Chain Guard, Turn Signal, Etc.

Make a "REASONABLE" offer for any parts shown you are interested in.
  3. R

Pipes...

Alright I need to do something. This 2-into-1 turnout I have sounds like absolute s***, and either the baffle is completely rotted, or it never had one to start with. Either way it’s not a serviceable part, so it’s junk. I’m thinking of going back to stock headers (Anyone got a relatively-clean...
  4. T

Ya Mama baffles and advice.

Hi all, I’ve got a set of Ya Mama in the mail. I like that high side style. Based on my skant knowledge of exhaust systems, I think the added length should aid in the performance. However I’m seeking some advice on baffling for both performance (daily street riding) and quieting. Would a long...
  5. R

Wanted - Stock Special headers

I’m looking for some stock reasonably-priced headers for a 1980 XS650 Special. They don’t have to be show quality, but no dents/dings/rot/etc. Just the headers.
  6. T

Exhaust and muffler advice

My bike came with a new set of Pandemonium Double D pipes but I want something much quieter. I don’t see many pipe/muffler options that essentially follow the original layout. Do I need to buy pieces and have it welded up? Or buy old stock pipes and paint the chrome? Something more or less...
  7. A

Wanted - 1 single "Cocktail Shaker" or short megaphone wanted

I am looking for a suitable "Coctail Shaker" or other short/small megaphone for a small single cylinder bike. See attached picture of a "Cocktail Shaker" for reference. No baffle desired or required. Ideally something made for 1 3/8" (35 mm) exhaust pipe, but 1 1/2" (38 mm) can also be used, if...
  8. A

Aftermarket exhaust pipe symmetry issue

I have a set of chromed, single wall, 38 mm OD (1 1/2") pipes, purchased from Heiden tuning some 10 years ago (Most likely identical to pipes sold by MikesXS at that time, and some time after ). They were never perfectly symmetrical, when viewed from forward, but I never bothered to post any...
  9. N

Mystery muffler

Hello, I’m new to this forum and to the xs650. I recently purchased a stockish 77. I have a fair amount of work ahead of me to get it road worthy but hopefully nothing major. As of now it looks like alot of wear items. For example swing arm bushing, neck bearings, fork seals and other odds and...
  10. Muckroot

XSJohn's right side hotter theory - explored

In another thread on this site XSJohn mentioned something that would lower cylinder temps by 20+ degrees. I am REALLY interested in finding out exactly what John was talking about here, so I did some digging. XSJohn's comments are in blue for clarity. This is a start, but there has to more...
  11. O

Smoking from Left Pipe....

I know there have been quite a few similar threads here but my 79' tracker is smoking something fierce on the left side only. Details of the build are below if it helps, I did pull the left header pipe and found a bunch of soot, and some oily residue coming up from the exhaust valve (not from...
  12. aDotInTime

Mysterious issue with carbs

So I'm at the point of tuning my '71 XB1. I was getting a popping exhaust on the left (sooty, dry). I fiddled with the ignition (Pamco) and got a pretty decent idle. However it would eventually slop out and die. I checked my coil, my plug leads, my plugs. All good connections. Plugs are...
  13. aDotInTime

Popping exhaust, Carbon covered plugs and exhaust gaskets....Oh boy

Hey all. So I found that there were bits of paper towel stuck in the inlet. I was able to crank through enough to get them to burn off. The issue I'm facing now is that Both (but more on the left) exhaust headers are popping pretty consistently. I had a little too much oil in the engine and...
  14. Prisondawg

Muffler replacement

When I bought my bike it came with this 2 Into 1 exhaust that sounds like a tin can. It high pitches and crackly and sounds like a dirt bike. I want it to sound quieter, low pitches and muffled like a purr. What's the best way to accomplish this sound? I know a 2 into 2 exhaust is favorable...
  15. denisducati750

Rookie Exhaust Effort

Well I’ve decided to have a crack at building my own custom exhaust. Rough going with a new MIG and lots of thinking tIme but enjoying the challenge. Tried this 2 into 1 merge bit and feel I can do it - but will re-do tomorrow leaving the cut ends a bit longer so the down pips are better spaced. D
  16. A

MAC exhausts for XS

Lately, I have been thinking about TT style headers, as they give more freedom for rearset linkages, (in addition too looking damn cool) Today, I came across the MAC website: http://www.macperformance.com/new-motorcycle-exhaust.html It seems they have 2 different systems, 1 with individual...
  17. Port

Muffler bracket acorn nut size and thread

the stud for my muffler bracket got damaged as i was removing the acorn nut (#13) a little chip popped off and tore up some of the threads on the way out. It could be fixed with a die but im unsure of the threading. It seems to be a 12mm stud but i have read that the bolts on the bracket (#14)...
  18. XSWestgate

Header Diameters

I've started getting parts for an exhaust system to replace the old welded special ones. The headers are about as far as I could get before running into uncertainty where to go next. The headers are the ones with bend on the lower section. The odd thing is, when i'm shopping around for...
  19. Surfrat28

Timing issue

hey guys Hope everyone is riding while the weather is great! I have a 1978 Yamaha Xs650 bored out to the 707cc. I have currently made the bike into a chopper after the fong bros XS650 style. I am currently running stock pipes without mufflers. My electrical system is the Boyer ignition system...
  20. GeorgeOC

Anyone running MAC 2-2 Part # MAC-22-Y650 ?

Hello All, trying to solve a slight exhaust install puzzle. I think its likely I am missing a bracket, or something very simple. Or, fabrication is expected on these, which is also ok. MAC customer support has been less than responsive unfortunately. I am wondering if anyone might be running...
Back